• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question about HDMI

The actual port is called a MHL - mobile HD link.

It has a micro-usb form factor and auto-senses if on USB, HDMI or MHL (coming soon to TVs like the Samsungs).

MHL-to-MHL will charge while xferring vid but HDMI is limited to a paltry 50 mA on its power line, so expect no help charging while using the MHL->HDMI plumbing.

That said, there is a UK vendor that is already showing a pigtail kind of attachment that looks like it would accommodate turning MHL into HDMI for vid, and a simultaneous USB port to use for charging - if I read the picture in their catalog right. It's made by Samsung, but wasn't on their site as of the last few weeks yet.

Samsung Galaxy S II (I9100) MHL Cable | SGS2 Accessories

Check out that link - it's the Y-adapter and more, if I'm reading the picture correctly.

Said to be sold this June in the UK - I found nothing similar in the US or by search Samsung sites (including by part number from the Samsung UK site).

708F67C8-AC64-4983-9351-792187800650.jpg
708F67C8-AC64-4983-9351-792187800650.jpg

Looks like the adapter gets you to microUSB + miniHDMI - if my eyes are true.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Matthew1994
Upvote 0
OK, getting to grips with the Sensation (been Tweeting up a storm, hard to resist making adding a hash tag to that "Sensation"!).

My MHL cables both work (go standard connections).

WiiMotes don't work, didn't expect them to.

BT keyboard works, BT Mouse pairs, but not properly supported.

Phonejoy works (tried out with Mario kart 64 in N64oid, awesomesauce!).

Video playback proving problematic with most of my test files (wide variety of codecs/bitrates/resolutions/audio encoding types), even with Diceplayer, Moboplayer, Rockplayer. Bit disappointing, since it kinda makes the MHL-out less useful. Doesn play 1080p MP4 well though, and Diceplayer can handle some of the MKVs (even the one with DTS sound and a 9500kbps bitrate).

Already had one out of memory warning.

Browser is lovely with the screen resolution, but quite a bit slower than SGSII, and handles flash much worse too. Love the dynamic reflow though!

Sound quality for music is better based on my limited playback so far (via line out to the car stereo).

Tasker more compatible than with my SGSII, although still can't handle picking up calls (not the fault of either phone, its a Gingerbread thing).

For more up to the minute posts follow Twitter (NZtechfreak there too). Clove blog will also be having content going up from me over next few weeks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones