• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about light leaks on an Ebay phone

Bat~man

Apr 11, 2010
I bought an EVO off of Ebay about a week or so ago and just noticed my light leakage is getting pretty bad. I have sprints insurance on it so I was wondering a few things.

1. Will it be a pain to turn it in for a new phone, and what do I have to pay to do so...I'm guessing they will send me a new one then I'll mail mine back to them>?

2. Would it be the smarter thing to do to wait just a little bit to see the new builds? I'm using a 0003 with a nova screen.

I bought an EVO off of Ebay about a week or so ago and just noticed my light leakage is getting pretty bad. I have sprints insurance on it so I was wondering a few things.

1. Will it be a pain to turn it in for a new phone, and what do I have to pay to do so...I'm guessing they will send me a new one then I'll mail mine back to them>?

2. Would it be the smarter thing to do to wait just a little bit to see the new builds? I'm using a 0003 with a nova screen.

I've had my EVO replaced once, directly through HTC. I contacted them about light leakage and a manager shipped me out a new phone and I shipped them mine back.

If you're going through insurance, you may or may not have to pay the $100 deductable. I would think that you wouldn't since it's a manufacturing defect. The only pain might be waiting for an EVO to get in for you.

Good luck.

Reactions: Bat~man
Upvote 0
no you only pay the deductible when YOU have done something to the device that makes it unusable. for example: anything broken on the device, or water damage. if there are manufacture defects or software glitches, you will either get it fixed or receive a replacement (almost always a refurb and not a new device).

i have had the insurance for years and done both types of exchanges. i dropped my hero in the ocean (awful i know) and had to pay the $100 deductible and received a brand new in box device. i had several phones where i did the walk in exchange and they were always refurbs.

i'm not sure how successful it might be to exchange for light leakage, but if you're going to try it you need to argue that it will allow dust and every other possible thing you can think of. let us know if this works for you!

i also have light leakage but have a bad water indicator strip bc of a messy screen protector install. so i haven't bothered to exchange bc of that and my phone is other wise flawless.

i think i'm just going to take some black silicone caulking to the edges.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones