1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Question about memory and # of Apps.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bren S., Jul 31, 2011.

1. Bren S.

Bren S. Android Expert
    None

May 2, 2011
    Female
    USA
    I am contemplating getting the Prevail and I know it does not come with much memory, but I am trying to figure out if this will be a huge issue for me or not.

Some of the Apps I feel I must have are facebook,twitter, kindle,overdrive media,amazon app market,weather bug and usually a game or 2. Does this seem like it might maybe be too much to expect the Prevail to handle without having freezing issues?

Also how many kb's are in a mb? It seems a lot of apps are _____kb so I am not sure how fast these consume mbs of memory.

Any input would be appreciated.

p.s. I do not feel remotely confident enough to root so stock is what I will be dealing with.

Advertisement

2. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    You may change your mind, running rooted makes for a quicker lag free phone :D
    As to how many, I think the list you have is doable without over crowding, but I am not positive.
    there are 1024kb in a 1mb and 1024mb in 1GB

3. wyelkins

wyelkins Android Expert
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    Financial Services
    Savannah, GA
    I agree with Optimus. I am pretty sure you can run all those apps at the same time on the stock phone. You may find that you can use a good browser like Dolphin HD for facebook, twitter, google+, etc, and not need all those apps.

Not trying to change your mind on the root thing, but it is VERY easy on the Prevail. ShabbyPenguin and Interdph have made it simple. They call it the One Click Root because that is what you do. Then you can get rid of the stuff you do not want and your phone will run much smoother. Especially if you install Shabbymod. There are plenty of very nice people on this forum who will help you do all this stuff. It is Easy.

It is a good phone. Not the best, but you cannot beat it for the price and $50 a month service from Boost. Make sure that you get a decent signal where you will be using the phone. This has not been a problem for me.

4. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    USN Vet. / Certified Drug and Alcohol Abuse Counse
    So-Cal

I agree with New Optimus and wyelkins . I have had a Blackberry for several years now and decided to give the Prevail a try . The Prevail hooked me !! Boost has an awesome plan with Shrinkage that is really hard to beat . We have a great Forum here too for support and mods . You really can't beat this phone for the money . I'm very happy I purchased the Prevail and highly recommend it . :D:D:D:D:D

5. westfall90

westfall90 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Not to be to repetitious but...

1.) a stock unrooted Prevail will most definitely handle what you're asking, but it can be teeny bit of a slowpoke no matter what you're doing

2.) file size increments go in approximately 1000s. 1000 bytes is a kilobyte, 1000 kilobytes is a megabyte, 1000 megabytes is a gigabyte. All you really have to remember.

3.) the rooting and shabbymodding as all 3 of the previous posters have stated is extremely simple, and WILL make your phone significantly speedier. I was reluctant to root just because of the thought that I didn't want to mess up my phone, and I'm a bit OCD as to keeping things stock, but it couldn't have been easier, and I'm extremely glad I did.

Just to give you a clear idea of what it will take to root.

1.) you will install a program (samsung phone drivers) which is just like installing any program on a windows computer (like say installing itunes) this program will automatically do what it needs to after it's installed so you won't need to even think about it
    2.) you will turn on a setting in the phone which is found in a settings menu just like changing your ringtone or turning it to vibrate
    3.) you will unmount the sd card, or an alternative just turn the phone off and pop it out like I did
    4.) you will unzip the file folder that contains the files that root the phone (just like unzipping any other file in winzip or winrar)
    5.) you will run the program that roots the phone (just like running any program, like running internet explorer or anything else) it will ask you to hit enter a few times

exactly the same easy steps to shabbymod it (there are instructions included with both downloads that couldn't be clearer), and then your phone shall be faster. Sorry if I sounded condescending, just trying to explain it as easily to understand as possible since I don't know your personal experience with computers.

6. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    aproximate is how the hd company's figure it, that is why your 500gb hard drive is only 472gb on your computer. :D

7. QuietStorm1785

QuietStorm1785 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Harrisburg, PA
    I love my prevail. It seems like a pain to root my htc phone, but with shabbymod its point and click and hit enter a few times. Wish they did that with HTC lol. Also to stay on subject, yea the prevail doesnt have much memory, but remember u can also move apps to sd too if u dl too many.

8. 76ford90lx

76ford90lx Guest
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Q.A. Supervisor
    Riverside, CA
    Now that is the the instruction I need to Root. It broke it down like I was a stupid little kid :) Those descriptions need to be in the first post of the one click root thread.