1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Question about multiple ROMs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Deleted User, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I was just wondering how one goes about installing multiple ROMs on an Incredible. Is the best way to download the zip file to my SD card and then run ROM Manager? How would I go about this using ClockWorldMod (as I want to become more proficient using it)? I'm assuming that I need to first do a backup with nandroid. When installing the zip through clockworldmod, does that delete my current ROM/kernel? Sorry for all the questions, as they have easy answers, but I haven't found it yet.

FYI, I currently am running Redemptive Revolution and HeyItsLou Kernel #8. I am thinking of flashing Incredibly Re-engineered, as I keep hearing great things about it and it's compatible with my kernel.

Advertisement

2. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

You d/l said ROM from your PC or phones browser and place on the root of your SD card (not in any folders) Shut phone off and hold volume down and power, you'll be in bootloader, wait for it to check for updates, then use the volume down to select "recovery" and power button to select it. From recovery select "backup and restore" then "backup." Let it do its thing. Then once backup is complete toggle down to "wipe data", then "wipe cache partition", then go down to "advanced" and "wipe dalvik cache." Now that your wipes are done, select "Install zip from SD card" chose the ROM and install. Once it's done installing, you can go back (power button) and select "reboot now"

Not sure how you weren't able to find this info in any searches, but here you go, hope it helps

3. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

And yes, when you do your wipes it will erase all your data. That's why you do a backup before this process

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Sorry, maybe I wasn't being super clear. I am rooted and am running a ROM at the moment. I was just wondering if I can have multiple ROMs running at once, cuz I like having redemptive revolution on my phone right now, but would love to flash incredibly re-engineered.

5. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

in a way,yes...

when you do the backup,that file stays on your SD card. you can restore it any time you wish. you can flash several different roms,get them set up the way you want,and then restore a different backup every morning if you want to change them that often.

if you mean can you flash several roms and flip between them like changing themes,without having to do a wipe and restore,then the answer is no. you can only run one operating system at a time and you have to reboot and erase the old to change to a new.

does that answer your question?

Deleted User likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Thanks scotty, that was exactly what I was looking for! I kinda knew that you probably couldn't flip them around like Sense/LauncherPro, but I was secretly hoping there was a way.