• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root question about my newly rooted frg22

You need SetCPU to overclock. As patch said above, you can use it to overclock the stock kernel up to 800 MHz.

But to actually answer your question, yes, you can install any kernel you like over the stock froyo ROM. I use Chevy's Low Voltage 1.0 GHz and I'm very happy with the performance I get out of it. I haven't tried Slayher's kernels but according to the Froyo kernels poll his kernels are the second most popular after Chevy's, so they're probably pretty good.

The complaints I've heard about Slayher's kernels that they tend to drain battery quickly.

Upvote 0
Your apps should be linked to your Google/Gmail account, and should restore themselves automatically regardless of what ROM you're using as long as you are using the same Gmail account.

If this doesn't happen as expected upon flashing a new ROM, there's a solid option to make restoring your apps a lot easier. Eventually your apps should restore themselves without doing this but personally I want my apps ASAP after flashing to a new ROM and this has been really useful:

Use AppBrain.com along with the AppBrain android app, it's a free service. It's essentially an online version of Android Market that you access from your PC. When you sync your phone with AppBrain it will save a list of your apps to your profile on their website. You can then use it to install apps straight to your phone from your PC on their website (first you have to install an app called Fast Web Installer).

Once you get AppBrain set up, from then on if you ever do a factory reset and install a new ROM and your apps don't repopulate automatically, just go to Android Market and install the AppBrain app again, sync it with your account and you can have your apps back in minutes.

You can also get an app called AppList which will save a list of your apps as a .txt file to your SD card.

I've been using UD 8.0 as well and I really, REALLY like it.

Upvote 0
So, I have another question that I've been searching for the answer to. What does flashing one of these Kernels actually change? Does it only change the processor driver to allow overlocking or does it change something more fundamental in the OS?

I'm the wrong person to give you a technical answer, but as far as I can tell, all flashing a different kernel will do is change to allowable clock speeds of the processor. Some have different "governor" settings you can set in SetCPU profiles, such as conservative, performance, powersave. So if it's set to conservative or powersave the processor will tend towards the minimum clock speed of your SetCPU profile, if it's set to performance the processor will tend towards to maximum clock speed of your SetCPU profile.

To boil it down, flashing a different kernel is making a minor change with potentially major benefits.

Upvote 0
If you are rooted the stock kernel that came with the rom should be able to be adjusted with setcpu. Setcpu is a must really. The profiles will allow you to crank your phone down when it all the power is not needed. I am trying an 800 slayher kernel (love the slayher kernels) set on interactive and have the profiles set to idle at 125 when the screen is off. I took it off the charger last night at about 8 and almost 12 hours later with a couple of calls, 2 youtube vids and checking my email a couple of times I am still at 90% battery. That is the beauty of not taxing the battery while the phone is in your pocket.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones