1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question about NFC tags

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gatman, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Gatman

Gatman Android Enthusiast

Hi folks,

I am making up my Xmas wishlist since I'm "so hard to buy for." I was just surfing around on Amazon and stumbled across some NFC tags and thought that would be a nice cheap one for someone to pick up.

Anything special I need to know before I pick a set and put them on my wish list? Any you've picked up already and are using that you'd recommend? What about software? Do I need to get an app to use them, or is there something built in?

Basically, any pointers to keep me from making a mistake would be helpful. I think I'd like to have one at home to activate wifi and turn off bluetooth, one in the car to turn off wifi and turn on bluetooth, and then another at work to again, turn on wifi and turn off bluetooth. I know I can do way more than that, but that's my initial list of ideas.

Thanks,

Gary

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Gatman likes this.
  3. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Android Expert

4. g01851

g01851 Well-Known Member

5. renegad3

renegad3 Well-Known Member

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I just got some of these as well.

I am curious to know if you for example put a tag on a mount in the car where the phone would constantly be exposed to the tag, is there any adverse effect to doing that?

6. g01851

g01851 Well-Known Member

In the article I posted above, they had the NFC tag right on the car mount, so no, I don't think its an issue to have the phone right on top of the tag for extended periods of time.

7. SandLake

SandLake Newbie

Any other recomendations for tags? I am only figuring out NFC and it's uses but 137 bytes of memory seems very little and the 1024 byte ones I have seen are almost the same price.
    Any UK suppliers of 256, 512, 1024 byte Tags?

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews