• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question about notification bar

I was playing with my Droid 2 today when I thought of something that I don't believe is possible.

Sometimes when I get notifications, specifically for downloading new apps, I want to be able to click and hold on the notification and drag it to the home screen, essentially creating an icon from it.

This would save time, if you want to put a new app directly onto the home screen after downloading. I have 5 screens, each set up with specific app types. It isn't necessarily a pain to go into the app drawer after downloading, but it is just something that would be easier than sifting through a long list of apps.

Does anybody know if this is currently possible, or at least if it is potentially possible to develop something to do it?

really this should be built into the market as an option when downloading ALL apps.

recently they included the option to "auto update" which is cool, perhaps they will eventually change to also include a check box for create icon on desktop, which is really just been overlooked by android.

Upvote 0
I was playing with my Droid 2 today when I thought of something that I don't believe is possible.

Sometimes when I get notifications, specifically for downloading new apps, I want to be able to click and hold on the notification and drag it to the home screen, essentially creating an icon from it.

This would save time, if you want to put a new app directly onto the home screen after downloading. I have 5 screens, each set up with specific app types. It isn't necessarily a pain to go into the app drawer after downloading, but it is just something that would be easier than sifting through a long list of apps.

Does anybody know if this is currently possible, or at least if it is potentially possible to develop something to do it?

Welcome to the forum burke!

Had never thought about that... but now i want it!:D

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum burke!

Had never thought about that... but now i want it!:D

Yeah, who knows? Maybe it might be integrated into future UIs.

It would essentially be a smaller version of the app drawer. The most difficult part would be figuring out how to deal with notifications that aren't for apps.

It wouldn't really make sense to drag an email notification to the home screen and end up with a duplicate app icon; however, it might be most efficient to simply create shortcuts, perhaps with an icon similar to the base app, except with an overlay of the number of unique instances.

Thanks for the welcome!

Been converting people to Android since December. :D

Upvote 0
Eeeks, that would be nice, but I am sure that there is a vast programming difference between a notification and an icon in regards to function. It's a nice idea, in most cases though, the majority of "installed" app notifications will be updates and the icon will already be somewhere on your screens.
From a "time to develop" standpoint, I don't think it's worth it for developers to spend that time (possibly in their opinion, not mine since I don't really know first hand)

Maybe one day, hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones