1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question about recoveries and 'L' encryption

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by sniperfox47, Sep 22, 2014.

1. sniperfox47

sniperfox47 Newbie

Dear Phandroid users,

I'm sure this question has been asked a billion times but I looked and couldn't find it so I'll ask it again:

From the sounds of it, Android 4.5/5.0's 'L' will have dm-crypt encryption enabled by default. Do the current versions of clockworkmod recovery (6.0.4.X) and/or TWRP (2.8.0.0) have GUI support for mounting and backing up partitions via dm-crypt (a.k.a without having to adb in and mount them manually)?

I certainly hope L ups he ante with full drive encryption, adding critical features such as system encryption, long encryption keys, and separation of unlock keys from the decryption keys. In my dreams they'll even hopefully add NFC and USB-OTG/USB3.1 backed keyfiles. All of that added security, however, is pointless if the partitions can't be mounted in recovery when I screw something up.

As an aside at the end here, it will be enabled by default, but has anybody heard if it can be *disabled*?

All of your help and replies are appreciated.

Sincerely yours,
    ~Sniperfox47

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I have not heard but its a good and fair question.

And I'm not sure your initial question regarding custom recoveries has been given broad speculation here or elsewhere. I can't answer it, but I have a great deal of interest in hearing from someone who can.

3. sniperfox47

sniperfox47 Newbie

A partial answer to my own question:

From looking at the change logs for twrp, it looks like it supports AOSP (dm-crypt) encryption on /data/ and mentions now supporting touchwiz devices so they must use a different encryption scheme (Is that part of Knox?)

As far as whether or not it's just /data/, I'm not sure but I don't have the time to test it right ATM.

Clockworkmod I'm not 100%sure (haven't had time to test it either) but considering it doesn't really have a keyboard as far as I know, and there's both touch and non-touch versions I kinda doubt it.

When I get a day off tomorrow I'll play around with it for a bit and post my results back here.