1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question About Removed Bloatware and the OTA

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bryan847, Sep 21, 2011.

1. bryan847

bryan847 Well-Known Member

When the OTA Gets released, how will it work with apps that were uninstalled. After CWM came out I made a backup and removed all the bloatware. When the OTA comes out will I have to restore to the backup and then update, or will the removed apps not affect the OTA... I am pretty new to rooting but I understand it... and with the OTA coming soon I just want to be ready.

Advertisement

2. bryan847

bryan847 Well-Known Member

3. Knitewulf

Knitewulf Android Enthusiast

4. glennj

glennj Well-Known Member

You may be right, but what I understand from a variety of sources is that when the OTA comes/ it will check for specific versions of varrious pre-installed software (bloatware) and if they are not found in place the OTA will Not install.

That is why people have been freezing bloatware instead of deleting it altogether, so when the OTA checks for versions of bloatware to update it will find them and not abort the update.

Glenn

5. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Android Expert

You will need to restore ALL removed stock items before updating, or will end up with a brick.

glennj likes this.
  6. glennj

glennj Well-Known Member

That's what I was afraid of.

This could get really bad !

Still waiting here...

Glenn

7. redsox985

redsox985 Android Enthusiast

I made sure to go in and unfreeze any apps I had frozen, restore bloat with P3Droid's Toolbox, and browse through my /system/app folder for any extension changed to .bak. I had no issues with the leak install, but this could get ugly for anyone who got the soak and was debloated.