1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Question about returning Captivate...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brefmint, Aug 10, 2010.

1. brefmint

brefmint Member

Jul 26, 2010
    If I return my Captivate does it cancel my 2 yrs contract I signed when I purchased it? If so, an if I do not purchase another phone when I return the Captivate and I wait to see if the MMS and GPS issues are resolved, will I be able to go back in 2-3 months and purchase another Captivate with 2yr contract?

Thanks,
    MW

Advertisement

2. csreborn

csreborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Returning the phone within your 30 days voids any contract or contract renewal. You can also ask them while they are doing it for confirmation, and if they make a mistake they will correct it later.

You will also have a restocking fee.

3. brefmint

brefmint Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Thank you. So I take it I will be able to purchase one later if they resolve all of the issues?

4. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    If you're up for paying a $35 restocking fee, yes. I dont see why GPS is such a dealbreaker for everyone, mine works perfectly fine when I actually bother using it.

Samsung is well aware of the issue, so you can expect a fix very soon. I'd hold on to the phone.

5. tcv

tcv Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    NJ
    If there is a defect with the phone, tell them to **** themselves if they try to charge a restocking fee.

6. brefmint

brefmint Member

Jul 26, 2010
    I'm not returning it because of GPS. I haven't been able to send a picture text since I bought the phone. The phone doesn't really work on EDGE very well and there is no 3G where I live.

7. chrisu

chrisu New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    My corporate store told me to be sure to bring my packaging/box back if I wanted to exchange for another Captivate so I wouldn't be charged a restock fee. Not sure if this would apply to a return rather than an exchange though.

8. noc

noc Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    What if your phone arrived with some trapped particle in between the AMOLED and the outer glass on the screen? It's not a big speck, but sometimes it's an eyesore to me. Will they charge me for an exchange?

9. SmoovC

SmoovC Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Graham, Kracka'!
    I retrurned mine yesterday, at the same store where purchased. When asked why, I said there is a known GPS issue with the Galaxy S line, and does not work as advertised. Further, on AT&T wireless' own website, it states it has voice dialing, which it does not.

The salesman tried to exchange it (to save his commission no doubt), and I refused, stating why would I want another of the same phone with the same issues.

After requesting to speak to a manager, and re-stating the same issues, he waived the restocking fee. Whether he felt I was right or not, I think he knew I was not leaving without a full refund.

Once I was home, I called Customer Care to make sure I was back to where I started before the Captivate: my unlimited data was still in effect, and my contract date & upgrade eligibilty was reset.