1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Question about Root

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by swbca21, Aug 7, 2012.

1. swbca21

swbca21 Newbie
    None

Oct 23, 2010
    I rooted my Galaxy S when I first got it.
    I rooted my Nexus S when I first got it.

But then an update would come along and kill root and sometimes undo the changes I had made to system sounds and settings.

Before I root my Galaxy 3, what do 'experts' do to keep their phones rooted. Do they just keep installing newer root images, or what ?

Please explain it in full sentences and simple terms because I am not a full time Android tinkerer.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    If you root, and then accept an OTA, you will lose it everytime. THe way to avoid this is to not accept OTAs, but rather flash a stock, rooted ROM if that is the experience you want.

3. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    In addition to what Anti said, most custom ROMs and recoveries disable OTAs from being downloaded or installed.

swbca21 likes this.
  4. swbca21

swbca21 Newbie
    None

Oct 23, 2010
    Does someone build new rooted roms for a specific phone to keep up with significant updates or version change or do most people not worry about updating their phones after they have rooted them ?

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Depends on your phone, but I reckon that rooted users often do many more updates than unrooted people get. I was forever changing from one custom ROM to another (not so much these days as my phone is old and there's not much development happening any more).

If an update brings anything significant, it will be incorporated into a rooted stock ROM before very long. For phones which come with manufacturer interfaces (Sense, Touchwiz etc) the custom ROMs are usually way ahead of the official updates. ;)

swbca21 likes this.
  6. swbca21

swbca21 Newbie
    None

Oct 23, 2010
    Replies on this forum have been very helpful . . . . one more question about root.
    Does rooting a phone every remove or change applications unique to the carrier ? For example, WiFi Tethering on the Galaxy S3 from T-Mobile, now redirects the browser to the T-Mobile Tethering sign-up page (the page is on a T-Mobil server . . not a page on the phone). This does not happen with my T-Mobile Nexus S.

So does root maybe change carrier specific settings imbedded in the phone ?

7. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    England
    There's and app in the market called ota root keeper, I have no idea weather it works as I've not used it but might be worth a look. ;)