• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about Root

swbca21

Oct 23, 2010
I rooted my Galaxy S when I first got it.
I rooted my Nexus S when I first got it.

But then an update would come along and kill root and sometimes undo the changes I had made to system sounds and settings.

Before I root my Galaxy 3, what do 'experts' do to keep their phones rooted. Do they just keep installing newer root images, or what ?

Please explain it in full sentences and simple terms because I am not a full time Android tinkerer.

Thanks

Depends on your phone, but I reckon that rooted users often do many more updates than unrooted people get. I was forever changing from one custom ROM to another (not so much these days as my phone is old and there's not much development happening any more).

If an update brings anything significant, it will be incorporated into a rooted stock ROM before very long. For phones which come with manufacturer interfaces (Sense, Touchwiz etc) the custom ROMs are usually way ahead of the official updates. ;)

Reactions: swbca21
Upvote 0
Replies on this forum have been very helpful . . . . one more question about root.
Does rooting a phone every remove or change applications unique to the carrier ? For example, WiFi Tethering on the Galaxy S3 from T-Mobile, now redirects the browser to the T-Mobile Tethering sign-up page (the page is on a T-Mobil server . . not a page on the phone). This does not happen with my T-Mobile Nexus S.

So does root maybe change carrier specific settings imbedded in the phone ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones