1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question about rooting for tether

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bedlam, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Bedlam

Bedlam Lurker

Hey guys, sorry for what probably is a question that's beat to death around here, but I'm not finding any answers with search. Admittedly, I broke my glasses and cant see for anything...

Exactly how far do I hafta go to just be able to wireless tether? The stock ROM does for me what I need and the only functionality I need from the Evo that it doesn't already do for me, is to be a hot spot for my Tablet and Laptop when I am on the go. Can I even do this on the Stock ROM?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert

Welcome to AF!!! All you need to be able use wireless tether is root access. Do me a favor and power your Evo off then back on while holding volume down and give me the following information:

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-2.02.0000 (this is the information I want)
    MICROP-041f
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
    RADIO-2.15.00.09.01
    Aug 19 2010, 14:29:08

3. thefiend1

thefiend1 Lurker

Im in a similar situation to the OP, I have a stock EVO 4g, and have not rooted it at all and am a 100% fresh n00b to this. Id like to be able to use the wifi tethering of my evo to my ipad, but I cant use it unless I pay for the subscription - but I heard if I root it I can use this feature...

4. thefiend1

thefiend1 Lurker

hboot-2.18.0001 is my boot thing

5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Hello and welcome to the forums!:D

If you ever plan on rooting a device, the number 1 thing is to never accept TOA updates. Each OTA makes it harder and harder to root the phone because HTC and sprint lock down prior root methods. WIth H-boot 2.18 the rooting process is more in depth than it used to be (a program used to do it all for you).

You can find your rooting information here:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. Bedlam

Bedlam Lurker

Same here. Just replaced my Evo with a New one via insurance and I guess they took all the updates ahead of time. I'll Follow the link as well, and Use the directions for Staying Stock? :eek:

Is there any advantage between the different methods of unlocking. The HTC Dev seems easy, and seeing as I don't really care about warranty anymore...

8. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

well the main difference is that when you only unlock the bootloader htc has only allowed certain access to the phone. while you have full access to the system partitons ( so that you can flash roms, kernels, mods and such), you do not have access to the radios which really is not all that important really. as i doubt that we will get anymore updates on this phone. so i doubt that any new radios will come out for the og evo.

and if you get it unlocked and you want to truly remove the watermark you can still do the other methods as well.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews