• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

question about s4 mini..

I purchased this phone also as an unlocked phone. I have T-mobile also and 4GLTE where I'm at. I was told by a T-mobile rep that the phone will only work at 2G max. It worked fine via wifi but couldn't access my data plan higher than 2G. It was running really slow when wifi was not available. I tried desperately to make it work. There is a compatibility issue from abroad to the US.

Upvote 0
I purchased this phone also as an unlocked phone. I have T-mobile also and 4GLTE where I'm at. I was told by a T-mobile rep that the phone will only work at 2G max. It worked fine via wifi but couldn't access my data plan higher than 2G. It was running really slow when wifi was not available. I tried desperately to make it work. There is a compatibility issue from abroad to the US.

I have been trying to read up on this, as I am pretty desperate for a reasonably-specced phone that is <5" in height. (The TMo Galaxy Blaze 4G came close, but I found its camera shutter lag to be a dealbreaker.)

From the Engadget review, it looks like the S4m supports the following bands:
The model we reviewed was the I9195, which is the LTE version (it also comes in dual-SIM and 3G-only variants). It sports bands 3, 7 and 20 (800 / 1800 / 2600), which are primarily used in Europe and other countries around the world. You'll also get quad-band HSPA+ (850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100) with speeds up to 42 Mbps. GSM / EDGE (850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900) is also part of the deal, ensuring that North American users / travelers will get somewhat decent data speeds.​
For 3G on TMo, you need either (1) 1900 mHz (a.k.a. PCS band or band II), or (2) 1700 mHz AND 2100 mHz (a.k.a. AWS band or band IV).

Note that the 1900 mHz frequency for 3G will only work in areas where TMo has refarmed their towers. So if the phone does not have 1700/2100, then all you get is 2G/EDGE.

A list of modernized markets that have been refarmed can be found here:
Network Evolution | T-Mobile Support

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones