1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Question about Samsung Galaxy S5570 Mini and gaming

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ianpwilliams, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    I currently have a Sony Ericsson W910i, and I am able to download Java (jar) games from the net to my PC, and then copy them across to my phone via Bluetooth in order to play them. Would I still be able to do this if I switched to the Samsung Galaxy S5570 Mini? I know the Samsung has Bluetooth, so can I assume that I would be able to copy the games across from my PC, and that it would recognise the game and put it in the right place? And as far as I can tell, the Samsung phone does support Java games, but of course there is no keypad, so if the games did work, I assume that the phone would have to provide a touchscreen keypad? The screen is 3.14", and it's 240x320, so if it had to bring up a keypad, then I suppose I would have to get a smaller-screen version of the Java game, like 176x220 or something? Has anyone had any experiences with download/transferring/playing Java games on the Samsung?

Advertisement

2. yagya

yagya Android Enthusiast
    None

There is no pre-support for java (.jar) apps/games in samsung galaxy pop/mini gts5570 smart phone but you can run them via third party applications like Jbed , Jblend, etc. There is also an site that converts your java games (if you provide .jar and .jad files) to .apk format that is recognized by galaxy pop and that can be installed directly too.

And you will have to get games especially designed for touchscreen & for galaxy pop gts5570.

3. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    Oh ok, so as long as I run them via Jbed or Jblend, or convert them online first, then I should be fine. I assume that Jbed and Jblend would provide an on-screen keypad then? And if converting them from jar to apk online, would the Samsung then provide an on-screen keypad for the game? Or maybe the on-screen keypad would be added in the conversion from jar to apk? I'm slightly confused by your last statement, what do you mean by that exactly?

4. yagya

yagya Android Enthusiast
    None

For more detail info please see this article How to Run .Jar Files / JAVA / J2ME based Games / Applications on Android Phones / Devices / Tablets - Top Ways | Android Gyan | Android Tips | Android Tricks | Android Hacks | Android Phone Reviews

Why are you after the keyboard? I think you can only play those java games that support touch screen in galaxy pop. The best way is to try and see for youself. Download Jbed or follow the instructions in above article and test in your phone. If you don't have one and are planning to buy test it in some other (friend's ) phone.

(Note: If neither you or your friends don't have galaxy pop, try to test in any phone (esp. samsung) running android os. If it works there it might work in galaxy pop gts5570 also).

5. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks for the link, I'll check it out now. And I don't want an on-screen keyboard, it's just that there are some great non-touchscreen Java games out there, where you need either a keypad or a D-pad in order to play them. So I was hoping that either the jar converter or the Android J2ME MIDP Runner in that link could present a way to include an on-screen D-pad for playing the non-touchscreen Java games. And I haven't got the phone yet (and none of my friends have one either), which is why I thought I would ask here The reason I'm looking at this Samsung phone, is because it's part of a contract offer that includes a free iPod Touch which I would like to get. Obviously I can play games, listen to music etc on that, but I'm guessing it would be the same problem when it comes to non-touchscreen Java games. The other option for a contract phone that includes a free iPod Touch is the Nokia C2-01, which is a very basic phone, but at least that would definitely run the Java games.

6. yagya

yagya Android Enthusiast
    None

But I think it does provide virtual keypad Coz when I play gameboy /snes games it provides touch point in the screen for navigation and also for special action.. I guess it all depends on the game
    and since you ate getting an free iPod offer. I think its worth it coz. Galaxy pop is a great. phone and who needs Java games when there are many famous and interesting games.like angry birds, doodle jump, etc that you cab platand enjoy with native support..

7. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    I don't know. When it comes to the smartphones, iPod Touch etc, all the games seem to be touchscreen-based, and a lot seem to be gimicky. I've never really seen the appeal of Angry Birds for example. I've played it online, and it's ok, but nothing amazing. I tend to like puzzle games a lot (they tend to be fun on the go). So I looked up a few of them to see if they are on iPhone/iPod or not. The results weren't too good: Bejelewed Twist - I play this all the time on Java. Can't seem to find an iPhone version at all. Bookworm - A great little simple word game. There is an iPhone version, but apparently it has a bug in it (the scramble feature begins to stop working, which is a big bug). Scrabble - Good game on Java. But apparently the iPhone version isn't much fun against the computer. Tetris Pop / Tetris Revolution - Great games on Java, with lots of game variations. iPhone just has Tetris, which seems ok, but only has two modes. I don't know if the Samsung app store (or whatever it's called) is any better. One of the reasons I want to get an iPod Touch is because it's the only portable platform other than the PSP that lets you play Football Manager Handheld. But the smartphone platform doesn't seem too impressive for games generally. I would still rather have the Samsung than the Nokia though, if I can manage to get Java games working on it, as it does seem a much better phone.

8. thoufs

thoufs Lurker
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    visit android market and try to finds out the games which you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. yagya

yagya Android Enthusiast
    None

Go to market.android.com and see a list of games (but remember some of them might not be compatible with galaxy pop but most of them can be run on it...) to see if your favourite games are available. And don't worry there are many puzzles games available for android too...

10. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    Ok thanks for the help, I'll have a good look at the Android games, and see what there is.