• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about selling iPhone

Crane

May 28, 2010
In anticipation of my EVO arriving tomorrow, I listed my iPhone 3g 16gb on ebay. I received a question through ebay asking for:

- the first 5 digits of the serial number
- the version of boot loader (5.8 or below, 5.9, 6.02 etc)
- the model number (eg., MB704LL or MCxxxxx)
- the modem's baseband (e.g., 5.12.01)
- the complete IMEI number (10 digits)

Before I answer them, I thought I would ask here to find out why they wanted this information. Is it safe to give out? What is it used for? I assume they're wanting to know if it can be unlocked or jailbroken, but I really don't know anything about that. I've left my iphone at the 3.0 firmware because I had enabled the tethering option and didn't want to lose it with an update.

Thanks for the help!

First 5 digits are the build date. Boot loader and baseband confirm/deny jailbreak and unlock capabilities. Model number (2G, 3G, 3Gs), and IMEI check for stolen phone and unpaid bills. If lost, stolen, or unpaid, AT&T will not activate it.

Unpaid is kind of garbage, that's what etf is for... but that's AT$T for you...

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones