1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question about sideloading

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by civprod, Feb 4, 2011.

1. civprod

civprod Lurker

I have seen several people complain about the Atrix's inability to do sideloading apps. I currently have an iPhone and am not too familiar with the android operating system. What exactly does this mean and what are the ramifications (or what can I not do) if it doesn't allow sideloading?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. youareme7

youareme7 Well-Known Member

Sideloading means installing applications from outside the official Android Market. AT&T blocks this ability to prevent people from installing apps that might do things they don't like. (like tethering)

It's more of a minor annoyance than a complete dealbreaker because anyone that really wants to sideload apps can do so with a little 3rd party help.
    Sideload Android apps all you want with the Sideload Wonder Machine | Android Central

If we can gain root access to the device through an exploit then even the sideload wonder machine is not needed. It remains to be seen how hard root will be on these new devices.

3. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Android Expert

Couldn't have said it better

4. dlazer

dlazer Newbie

So, if the Atrix is rooted, then we will be able to install any app we want and no longer be limited to the official Android market that AT&T restricts it to? Is sideloading required to install Swype?

5. youareme7

youareme7 Well-Known Member

Root isn't necessary to install non-market apps, the link I posted above is all that is needed for that. I'm almost certain that the Atrix will have Swype pre-installed, I think I remember seeing it in a video but I can't remember the source.

Root will let the user do whatever they want within the OS, like removing worthless pre-installed crapware.

melvic23 likes this.
  6. IrrelevantD

IrrelevantD Newbie

I think it was actually the AT&T hot minute video that showed someone composing an e-mail or text or something using swipe, so I'm going to agree that it's probably already on the phone.

Motorola Atrix 4G Forum

The Motorola Atrix 4G release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1930mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews