• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about syncing contacts with gmail

greenrobots

Lurker
Jul 15, 2010
I have a laptop with 200+ contacts saved in an address book file (vcard I think it's called) saved on my computer. I recently purchased an android phone (T-Mobile myTouch Slide unlocked, if it makes any difference) and I would like to import my contacts from the vcard file to my new device. I can easily do that with bluetooth, but my question is this: if I import my contacts from this vcard file, will they automatically sync with my gmail contacts? I have confidential business contacts that I don't want to sync with my gmail contacts, so that's why I'm asking. However, I really need these contacts on the phone (doing it manually is just not an option because it would take forever!) So is there a way to keep my laptop and phone contacts in sync without relying on gmail and without the phone automatically uploading my contacts to gmail? I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your time in advance.

- greenrobots

Just disable the auto sync feature and your contacts will not go to Google.

Although no, I know of no other way to get your phone to auto upload any type of contacts beyond Google, I don't think Google even thought of something like that.

Although, what do you think Google is going to do with them? If your afraid of the "big brother" knowing your contacts, it is very likely that out of 7 billion people someone else has their number in a search engine or a website or on Google contacts.

Just sayin =)

Upvote 0
Thanks, that makes sense and would work. One more question though. If I were to do this, would I lose my gmail contacts that are on my phone now? (They synced automatically at the start when I set up my gmail account?) Perhaps what I'd like most of all is a way to sync some of my contacts to gmail but not all of them.

I have a gmail account (I use to chat with friends and family) and a corporate email (business use only). I don't mind my gmail contacts syncing with google, and i'd actually like that if possible, but we aren't supposed to store corporate contacts anywhere except private servers/devices. So it's more a thing of corporate policy than any fear I have of Google. Plus it's just a lot easier having my work contacts separated from my friends/family, so I know if I access gmail I won't be bothered with work-related requests.

So what are my options as far as this goes? Is there a way to keep the specific work contacts that I want to import from not going to gmail, but without turning off google sync entirely? Sorry for any confusion in the first post.

- greenrobots

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones