• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about Telus HTC Hero

hmdsidd

Jul 13, 2009
I remember when HTC Hero came out, I was about to buy it but then all the reviews came out and said it was extremely laggy. So I went with an iPhone 3G. But now I noticed that Hero got firmware updates and whatnot, so how does the phone work in terms of lag? Is it still laggy, or what? If any one of you have used an iPhone before, how does it compare to HTC Hero?

I love the Android interface, I used to own the Magic, but I cannot deal with lag. And I don't want to get into the hassle of rooting/changing roms and whatnot. I did that with Magic and it was a pain.

There's not been any official firmware upgrades for the Telus Hero since launch (though we're all hoping the 2.1 update comes this month.

That being said, I've never found my Hero to be laggy, despite what some reviews said. I think many of those reviews were based on the early Hero from Europe, which has received updates (and I believe those updates were already in the Telus Hero at launch). I love the HTC Sense UI on the Hero, and the Android OS is exactly what I want in a phone, being a heavy google user (Gmail, Gcal, etc).

Definitely happy I went with the Hero!

EDIT - I should add, I've yet to root my phone.

Upvote 0
Have you used an iPhone 3G? How would you compare the "snappiness" of it with your own phone? I really appreciate your input by the way.

One of my main gripes with the iPhone is that it's very snappy and lag free and whatnot as long as you don't jailbreak it. But without jailbreaking it, there are lots of features missing that it should already have. Not talking about free apps btw:p

Upvote 0
Glad I can be of some help!

For comparison, I used to have an original iPhone, and my wife has an iPhone 3G. No doubt about it, the iPhone is very snappy compared to most phones on the market I'd say. However, the lack of true multitasking is a deal breaker for me. While I don't mind jailbreaking myself, my wife has no interest in the constant dance between jailbreaks and updates.

For me personally, the openness of Android, and the customization possibilities that don't exist on the iPhone make my decision a no brainer (though I know what's right for me isn't right for everyone).

Upvote 0
my friend has a iphone 3g, and I've used an iphone 3g in the past.

Honestly, my HTC hero rarely lags, if it does begin to lag all I do is turn it off then turn it on again and boom no more lag. The only lag I see is now that I've loaded 4+gb of videos on my memory card, the thumbnails take some time to load.

The iphone is "faster" because the hardware i believe is slightly better. i.e the processor is a bit faster, and i believe it has some sort of video graphics hardware that the Hero doesn't have.

Scrolling in between home screens, I have to say that the Hero is smoother and my friends with Iphone's have said the same thing. On my friends Iphone i notice its not as smooth scrolling between home pages... might just be his phone because I don't remember that on my iphone when I had it....

Both phones have their merits, however like most ppl with android I prefer the freedom that my Hero gives me over the Iphone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones