1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support Question about the email client

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by itpromike, Aug 31, 2010.

1. itpromike

itpromike Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Washington DC
    Umm... my sound like a dumb question but how do I copy and paste in the stock email client? Long pressing on the message doesn't do anything and bringing up the menu doesn't have any editing features sooo... what the heck?:thinking:

Advertisement

2. mystik1

mystik1 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    NC, USA
    Yea, it's very difficult still. I haven't found a good way for it either. I switched to K-Mail, which has an option for selecting text. It's not perfect because it's still not the easiest to select with touch, but at least it will eventually work with a little trial and error. :) It would be better if you could use the arrow keys with it activated and then select a command to actually copy.

3. Divinedark

Divinedark Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Yeah, the touch selection is still kinda dodgy. You can always use the Samsung keyboard. If you hold the "123" key down it'll bring up a directional pad for easy cursor movement, and it has copy and paste buttons in that same screen.

4. sonorous

sonorous Active Member

Jul 26, 2010
    The Swype keyboard has edit function as well. Just to be clear, it is not possible to cut/copy/paste from the stock email client. What people want to do including me and the OP, is to copy text from a received email and then paste it in another, email, or calendar, or other app, etc. The stock app does not allow cut/copy/paste from quoted text, only the text you write yourself. As a heavy corporate email user I find this to be a major fail on Samsung's part. If the iPhone had this problem, it would be lambasted by the media...

5. MrTony

Jul 16, 2010
    Are we sure this is Samsung's fault and not an Android problem? This happens in both the Email and Gmail apps.

6. androidatlanta

androidatlanta New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I've read complaints about this on forums for other Android devices, so it may just be an Android issue.
    What I've that works is to access my email through the browser I can copy text. It's kind of clunky, often cutting of part or all of the first or last word that I want, but it's a work around.
    I'm finding a lot of mildly annoying problems like this that collectively are making me wonder why I'm working so hard to figure out how to make my Captivate do what I want it to do.

7. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Just use K-9 mail. It's free, has no ads and is a huge improvement over the stock client. Plus it includes the ability to select text: Menu -> More -> Select text