• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

question about the galaxy s2's battery

gmoney5588

Aug 20, 2011
hey guys, i'm considering buying galaxy s2 when it comes out in in few weeks for verizon. i know there's no known spec, but based on the international edition, i've been seeing that it's suppose to get 10-12hours of battery life, and people are complaining that it's too short. i have iphone 3gs right now, and i get 5hours of continuous usage. is the 10-12 hours continuous usage? (constantly watching videos, web browsing, music, etc..) cause as far as i know, 10-12 hours of continuous usage is better than any other phones out in market, as far as i know. so is 10-12 hours continuous usage or including standy-by time??

hey guys, i'm considering buying galaxy s2 when it comes out in in few weeks for verizon. i know there's no known spec, but based on the international edition, i've been seeing that it's suppose to get 10-12hours of battery life, and people are complaining that it's too short. i have iphone 3gs right now, and i get 5hours of continuous usage. is the 10-12 hours continuous usage? (constantly watching videos, web browsing, music, etc..) cause as far as i know, 10-12 hours of continuous usage is better than any other phones out in market, as far as i know. so is 10-12 hours continuous usage or including standy-by time??

You will never get 10-12 hours of continuous use. If you are suing your phone that much you need to get a life! The SG2 DOES get better battery life that almost any Android on the market now.

Upvote 0
well reviewers that the SGS2 pulled off 8 hours continous video. i havent ever used my phone that long straight, of course, so i cant say for myself, but reviewers often have no reason to lie :D so yes, i assume u'd get around 8 hours straight use. not 10-12. although this review was a very early one, with old firmware. with official 2.3.4 firmware, i'd probably imagine u could get around 10 hours out of it. im getting over 24 hours of average to sometimes heavy use.. i have no more battery complaints after flashing the newest firmware

Upvote 0
Ah ic, well the engaget review said they got 10hours, but that was just playing around with the phone. I have a friend who gets a little bit over 10 hours, but every othe review I was reading seemed to say that the battery isn't that great. Well, the main reason I want to get gs2 is because I fly to Cali for jersey often, and that's a 6 hour flight +1.5hours waiting at the airport and traveling to airport and other crap. So I have a lot of down time, and my iPhone 3GS doesn't have enough battery life for me to watch videos on the flight and have enough battery left for phone calls, so I always have nothing to do on the airport lol. Anyway, any recommendation for a smartphone with the longest battery life?

Upvote 0
i think the SGS2 will last u 7-8 hours continous. and sounds like u wont be needing push email,gps during this period, nor would u be needing wifi/3g during a flight. i think u'd definitely get this amount of battery life from the SGS2.. it'll be a shame to pick another smartphone purely for slightly better battery, the SGS2 is an amazing phone :D and like i said, the battery should be sufficient for wat u described

Upvote 0
I would recommend getting the Samsung extended battery if you are a dedicated power user...

"Samsung have released a powerful external power pack for the Galaxy S2, which extends your standby time by up to 500 hours or your talk time by up to 9 hours. It is also designed to complement the sleek shape of the Galaxy S2, and so is thin as not to add too much bulk to the phone. The battery has a capacity of 1300mAh, which when added to the existing battery gives you a total capacity of 2950mAh."

For more details, see here:-

Genuine Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 Extended Battery Power Pack Case

Hope this helps. :D

Upvote 0
Ah, sweet. Thanks for the help. But just for comparison reasons, anyone know how galaxy s2's battery life is compared to iPhone 4?

I get approx 12 hours with heavy use form the SGS2, my iPhone 4 with the same type of use (heavy) gives me over 18 hours (it's the best battery life I have ever gotten form a smartphone).
They are both quite good, but if battery life is the tipping point for you, than you want an iPhone 4.

Upvote 0
Actually I have both and unlike you, I'm not a fanboi. Just giving an objective opinion, and having to carry and charge multiple batteries and having to shut down and reboot the phone to replace the battery is not my idea of convenience nor of performance. The iPhone 4 is a rather good device as is the SGS2, but they are only devices and I'm not wed to either, just whatever suits my needs at a particular time.

Upvote 0
well i think u both have points :D the SGS2 is clearly a more powerful device than the iphone 4 (should be, considering its around 9 months newer than iphone 4) and android has its advantages over iOS.. but ive often heard people say that iphone 4 battery life is very good.. and to be honest, though im happy now with my SGS2 battery life, its not great.. so if ur purely thinking of battery life, iphone is more for u.. but like i said before to the OP, SGS2 can handle wat u need (8hours continous use, im sure).. and its a better, newer phone. go for it

Reactions: Twinn
Upvote 0
lol, maybe i shuoldn't have sparked a fight by bringing up an iphone on the thread lol. well anyway, i'm on the fence between waiting for an iphone 5 and waiting for a galaxy s2 to be released in the u.s. i like the fact that iOS is user friendly, but i want the customization of a droid. and yea, i definately agree that galaxy s2 is a much much better device, but i dont see much of a point in having insanely high spec, if there aren't any apps that demand such a thing. i'm usually a very light user, except for when i'm traveling. so my main concern was the battery.

and stevehy, ru saying 12hours continuous? or 12hours with standby? meaning u'd have to charge twice a day?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones