• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about the platform

I do not have an andoid phone, i am on verizon and it is not yet available. My question is why do i have to wait, i thought the whole point was i could install it on any phone. Is this possible and if so what do i need to do?

Verizon Is not on and open system but locked to CDMA >>>. if it ever gets Android it will be a CDMA phone and not A GSM like most of the World ..

Upvote 0
I am not asking about the service providers, the operating system android, should be loadable on any phone with sufficient capabilities right?

The OS aka Android is free yes but it has to be modified for each phone... so either a dev has to port it to that particular phone or you'll have to wait until Verizon gets around to using it on their phones....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones