1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question about the UK Orange branded Galaxy S 2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jjyear69, Sep 4, 2011.

1. jjyear69

jjyear69 Lurker

Hi there. I am going to purchase an Orange Branded Galaxy S 2 because I am due for an upgrade. I was thinking of unlocking it. Can anyone tell me:
    1. When the phone boots up, does it show the orange logo?
    2. Is there any Orange software preloaded onto the phone and can I remove it?
    3. Will I still be able to receive software updates for the phone when it's unlocked?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

1. Yes. And on shutdown
    2. Lots. Orange account, Orange Wednesday, Sim Toolkit, Orange Backup to name but a few.
    3. Just do your own through Odin

3. Hammerpgh

Hammerpgh Member

Well, I upgraded mine last weekend and I don't get any Orange branded stuff on startup or closedown.

Agree re those Orange apps but nothing that is an issue, they are quite handy in fact. The app for your account is great for quickly checking your monthly allowances, etc. You get the option when starting up the phone for the first time to use an Orange Homescreen or the default one. This is easiuly changeable later though and the Orange one is pretty good anyway (just 5 screens though).

4. Riche101

Riche101 Android Enthusiast

No matter What network you are on you have to balance it out I'm on TMobile haing network add ons that you may or may use or getting rid of them and getting the Latest firmware. As the UK networks seem too take forever to release updates even if update fixes serious bugs.

5. MJC UK

MJC UK Member

I've just ordered one from Orange myself so I'm interested in how much Orange presence there is on the phone.

It should have arrived yesterday but the delivery co. let me down, now I have wait for it to fail delivery tomorrow before I can take any action - the wait is killing me :(

I'm coming from iPhone and I'm a little bit apprehensive of moving to Android. I had the HTC desire for a month before going back to iPhone, but you can't deny this phone is a beast - I just hope it will last me 24 months!

As a side note, I bought mine through the topcashback site, and I'm getting

6. stuvy

stuvy Lurker

If you buy the phone from CPW, Phones4U, or mobiles.co.uk they're likely to be generic phones & therefore wont have any Orange branding. I got mine from Phones4U and there's no branding. It's also unlocked.

If you get it from Orange directly (shop or website) it's likely to have the Orange apps on it.

Although there were no Orange apps on my phone, I d/loaded 'My account' as I find its a good resource to check on my account

7. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

You missed out Signal Boost (UMA app) which is actually very useful for country hicks like me. It allows you to get voice and text over any wifi with connection to the internet. If you don't get a decent signal somewhere, and there's wifi - you're back on the network at standard call rates.

8. jjyear69

jjyear69 Lurker

So will I still be able to update android on it when it has been unlocked?

9. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Yes, network unlocking makes no changes to the device firmware at all. It remains exactly as before so updates will be unaffected.

jjyear69 likes this.
  10. jjyear69

jjyear69 Lurker

4. Can anyone recommend any mobile phone unlock codes?
    5. Has anyone one used mobileunlocked.co.uk?
    6. If orange say they can't give me an unlock code until after I have had the phone for 3 months, will someone else be able to provide me with an unlock code before the 3 months are up?

11. MJC UK

MJC UK Member

Got mine. It is heavily Oranged to say the least. I immediately installed LauncherPro and have now replaced that with GoLauncher so it looks nothing like an Orange handset. Also installed new email, sms clients and keyboards. Its safe to say i do not like the stock stuff (im not sure if its Samsung, Orange or Android settings i dont like.

Just trying to figure out how to stop getting numerous alerts for each email and sms!

12. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Why pay when you can do it yourself gratis? See this topic.

13. jjyear69

jjyear69 Lurker

I don't want to root the phone.
    4. Can anyone recommend any mobile phone unlock codes?
    5. Has anyone one used mobileunlocked.co.uk?
    6. If orange say they can't give me an unlock code until after I have had the phone for 3 months, will someone else be able to provide me with an unlock code before the 3 months are up?

14. MJC UK

MJC UK Member

Why are you so desperate to unlock? I assume you have an Orange contract? Dont you want to use that?

15. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Nope, not used any.

See above.

Yes.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews