• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question about updating Hboot and Radio.

fearofth3dark

May 2, 2010
Hi, I have been running the same froyo ROM for awhile now so I haven't really updated anything and am running older versions in general. I want to try out a Gingerbread Sense 3.0 ROM but I had a few questions before I tried anything.

The first question is because I'm not the most skilled in this, and in the past if I did something stupid or something I didn't like I could just do a nandroid backup and recover back to how I had it. But if I update to Hboot .92, from what I've read, it won't let me use my old backup file so is there a way back if I want to switch back to how I had it?

Also, I am running on an older radio version and was wondering what exactly the benefits of updating it would be or if I should just leave it as is. Thanks for the help.

Hey, long time no see. What radio are you running? Anything 7.28 (stock Froyo) or newer should be fine. As for the bootloader, yeah you'll need 0.92 and no there's not really a way back without some major smoke and mirrors and even then im not sure its still possible. You can however always use Titanium for your apps and loading a Rom is no big deal so its all good. Anyway, don't fret the update but be sure to verify MD5's for both radio and hboot changes. Then you're safe.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I understand the basic idea of an MD5 from other threads I read and to verify them. From what I understand it is because if any of the information in the file is changed the MD5 wouldn't match to what it is supposed to be. But how exactly does that apply to switching ROMs?

Well, you want to check it on roms too but I'm just saying its especially important for loading a new hboot and/or radio because those have greater implications for a botched flash, I.E. an incorrect file.

Does that answer your question? I feel like I might be missing some info you are looking for. If so, redirect.

Upvote 0
Well I mean the website I got the hboot from and the radio from have the MD5s listed and when I put them on my phone's SD card I double checked on the phone and made sure they matched what it said on the website. I'm not really sure if that's what you meant? Also, the ROM I'm thinking about running doesn't have any info about MD5s on it's page, is that a problem?

I think I'm not fully understanding what I'm supposed to be checking, sorry.

Upvote 0
Well I mean the website I got the hboot from and the radio from have the MD5s listed and when I put them on my phone's SD card I double checked on the phone and made sure they matched what it said on the website. I'm not really sure if that's what you meant? Also, the ROM I'm thinking about running doesn't have any info about MD5s on it's page, is that a problem?

I think I'm not fully understanding what I'm supposed to be checking, sorry.

Do you mind my asking where you got the hboot and radio? Got a link?

Upvote 0

Perfect, flash with confidence. What i was getting at here is that an MD5 doesn't mean squat unless its the one from the correct root file. So there's also the need to trust the source or verify against other sources. No need for that when using Doug's site however. I get a little OCD when it comes to radio/hboot, even when giving advice. It's no big deal as long as you have the right files, which you do. Flash away.

Reactions: fearofth3dark
Upvote 0
I actually have another question. I restored my apps with titanium but it says almost all of them are non-market. Then if I restore any app it just doesn't show up in the market. Are apps just completely different for gingerbread and I have to start again or am I doing something wrong?

Not real sure what's up here? How long has it been since you backed up with Titanium? What restore option are you using? Try menu, batch, restore missing apps. Then scan through them and unselect anything that's not a market app. Also you could try using the market doctor option if you have paid titanium. It'll restore broken market links if that's your problem.

Upvote 0
I don't mean to keep asking you questions but I don't want to start an entire new thread for one question. I realized that a few of my contacts for some reason weren't linked to my google account but are very important.

Is there anyway that I can recover only the contacts from a titanium backup or my nandroid backup without breaking the ROM?

Upvote 0
I don't mean to keep asking you questions but I don't want to start an entire new thread for one question. I realized that a few of my contacts for some reason weren't linked to my google account but are very important.

Is there anyway that I can recover only the contacts from a titanium backup or my nandroid backup without breaking the ROM?

Tough question. If you've done any new Titanium Backups since you flashed to the new Gingerbread, you're probably screwed since you overwrote the old data.

If you haven't done a new backup yet, you have 2 options I can think of:

1.) Nandroid backup in case you bork anything from here on. Then open Titanium and press on [CONTACTS/CALLS] cts storage 2.3.4. When it opens, there should be an option to restore 2.3.3. This may work or it may screw stuff up which is why the Nandroid.

2.) Safer route might be to Nandroid this setup, then flash a stock-like 2.2 rom. Once it's up and running, restore the [CONTACTS/CALLS] which will now be compatible with that rom. Once they're restored, convert the necessary contacts to Google contacts. Then you'll not have to worry about them again. Now Nandroid back to your new GB setup and allow the contacts to float back in from the cloud.

Again, this all assumes you haven't run a Titanium Backup since being on 2.3.4.

Upvote 0
I actually tried both of those already, the first option messed up the contacts list and whenever I went to it, it got really really laggy and pretty much became unusable until it just closed itself. So since I had to restore at this point anyway I tried wiping and going back to 2.2, which after it loaded gave me an endless loop of force closes, I must have gone through about 100. So I just restored my 2.3 ROM. I guess I'll just track down the numbers through other people and put them all in again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones