• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about where is the clipboard

Ive been lookin for where the clipboard is but cant find it. I have selected some text and copied and dont know where it goes I know stupid question but I even have a file manger app and it stores everything and its not in there either.

I'm not postive, but I think the stock clipboard in Android OS is a script, not a file; it retains text data until "pasted," which runs the script again into the text field you've chosen.

But I think most clipboard apps, such as from Market, have a file structure and some area where copied items are stored and can be retrieved.

Upvote 0
I
I'm not postive, but I think the stock clipboard in Android OS is a script, not a file; it retains text data until "pasted," which runs the script again into the text field you've chosen.

But I think most clipboard apps, such as from Market, have a file structure and some area where copied items are stored and can be retrieved.

Ok thanks allot for the info. So you are positive that there isnt a stock clipboard storing place because when I copy it it says it has been copied to the clipboard. And when I copy a text from the web it will store it in downloads.

Upvote 0
because when I copy it it says it has been copied to the clipboard.

It's just saying that to let you know it did it, and because most people are used to windows telling you that its been "copied to the clipboard".

And when I copy a text from the web it will store it in downloads.

Huh? If you copy text from a web page, it will be stored in the "clipboard" until you paste it. Not in Downloads.

Upvote 0
I

Ok thanks allot for the info. So you are positive that there isnt a stock clipboard storing place because when I copy it it says it has been copied to the clipboard. And when I copy a text from the web it will store it in downloads.

As Sitlet points out, "downloads" will not store copied text. It is the receiving point for most other file types acquired via a download link.

It's just saying that to let you know it did it, and because most people are used to windows telling you that its been "copied to the clipboard".

If you copy text from a web page, it will be stored in the "clipboard" until you paste it. Not in Downloads.

Upvote 0

Frisco is right. Take a look at this.

ClipboardManager | Android Developers

There's a class in android called ClipboardManager, and it's a subclass of GetSystemService. Which means it's not a stand alone application, so most likely the content is stored somewhere in the RAM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones