1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question about Xoom price cuts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TheBoss, Feb 5, 2011.

1. TheBoss

TheBoss Lurker

I have no problem paying the reported 800 for the xoom, but if there is a chance that the xoom might be 3-400 by Christmas that might be the one reason I pick the iPad 2 over the xoom since there usually are no drops prices on apple products until the next generation comes out.

So I guess my question is how well do you guys think the xoom will hold it's value. I am not that familiar with android products. Thanks in advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BCM

BCM Well-Known Member

I predict a zero chance for a price drop like you describe. I think the most you'll probably ever see is $50 off. I'm guessing the wifi only version to be around $570. All speculation on my part but thats what I'm throwing out there.

3. ckeegan

ckeegan Android Enthusiast

Just look at the Galaxy Tab. It's an inferior tablet (hardware and OS), with HUGE competition coming shortly, but the full retail price hasn't really changed that much from launch.

I see absolutely no chance that the price would drop by more than $50-100 by Christmas, and a $100 drop would be a stretch.

4. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

I agree - with really no competition save the iPad2, why would they drop the price? I think the sammy will continue to drop some, and if it gets 2.3 or 3.0 then is still a very nice unit. I'm torn between paying top dollar for the latest and greatest or paying half that for something lesser, but still very viable like the samsung tab. For now it's moot as I don't have the $ anyway. Will wait a few months maybe my opinion will change but I doubt it.

5. Woosh

Woosh Well-Known Member

I think it will have a ton of competition. There were about 100 tablets shown at CES and thats just whats close to being launched. In the next 10 months I would think there are going to be plenty of competition.

But to the OP...no I would not expect the Xoom to drop that low. Although I suppose it also depends on whether you mean pre subsidy or after subsidy. I could see this tab going for $300-$400 with a $375 ETF.

6. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

They should sell more android devices through Amazon. No tax + amazon usually prices their stuff VERY competitively. I think that if they sold it through Amazon we would see more price cuts as more tablets are released.

7. Homan13PSU

Homan13PSU Android Enthusiast

I also don't think you're going to see huge price drops either. Remember, this is a 32 gig device, and its priced in line with the top of the line iPad. What I would like to see is a 16 gig version so they can truly match the iPad product line.

I don't need a 32 gig tablet, 16 is fine for me and I'm sure the pricing on a 16 gig Xoom would be much more in line with what people who are complaining about the price had in mind.

8. gamul1

gamul1 Android Enthusiast

You have to measure the competition in "quality" tablets. You cant add in the 100s of low price low quality tablets as legitimate competition to the Xoom. But there *will* be competition to the Xoom. HTC will be putting out a 10 inch tab in June which I would expect to be better than the Xoom. LG and a few others will have tabs in the same quality range too.

*IF* people hold back on purchasing the Xoon at the current price at least until end of summer - I do think a $100 price drop for the Xoom can happen when you take into account the competition too. But what the yneed to relax is the hook to verizon in order to activate the wifi. That will help more than anything.