1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Question: adding SSD to system

Discussion in 'Computers' started by trackball, Jul 15, 2011.

1. trackball

trackball Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    I just ordered a new laptop so I want to take the SSD out of my current laptop and add it to my desktop as a boot drive. My question is regarding the OS operation. The SSD has Win7 32bit on it (old laptop), and I want to put Win7 64 I have on my desktop onto the SSD. So would I just wipe the SSD, make it the priority boot drive, and add Win7 64? Would it conflict with Win7 on the existing disk or make it so I can't run the applications?

It just so happens I have an extra copy of Win7 64bit OEM because I forgot to check if my laptop was 32 or 64, turns out its the former so I had to get the full version (the one with both disks). Would using that make it easier, or is it unnecessary?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

2. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    Male
    BC, Canada
    Make sure you have backed up any personal data from that SSD. Just install the ssd into your desktop, power up, throw in the W7 DVD and do a clean format/install. Enjoy the speed :)

trackball likes this.
  3. trackball

trackball Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    Thanks. Yeah I can't wait to try it out on the desktop. My laptop only ran SATA 1.5Gb/s so Im looking forward to seeing what it can really do.

4. cravinmild

cravinmild Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Putting in a ssd after using spinner drives is like giving your pc a new brain. Everything you do is quicker, snappy..dang fast. I have 3 ssds now and hate to think of going back to spinner drives. That said i do have one 1tb spinner drive for disk scraching from programs and general storage. newer spinner drive has reads speeds of 60ishmb/sec while my raid ssds have 449mb/sec read speeds.

5. Stevewitz

Stevewitz Newbie
    None

Totally agree. Once you've used SSD there is no going back.

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Neat little trick to help extend life of the SSD: In addition to things like TRIM, moving hibernation and pagefiles onto spinners, etc. is to move oft use folders, like 1) Special folders (My Documents, etc.) onto the Spinners as well as 2) your Profile folder(s). This is easily accomplished when you're first installing the OS, by way of a little used feature of Win7 called Audit Mode.

Read about it here: Customize Windows in Audit Mode

When you get to the screen where it asks for your Username, do this: Hold CTRL + SHIFT + F3 and it will automatically take you into audit mode with a reboot. Then, you'll get a nice dialog (after you get the "Windows is preparing your computer for first time use" animated screen) that asks what you want to do - change the first drop down to "Enter system Audit mode" and the second dropdown to "Quit" - DO NOT SELECT GENERALIZE!! MAKE SURE IT REMAINS UNCHECKED!! - and then sysprep will create a throwaway admin account for you to use for all sorts of purposes, including installing apps, customizing settings, etc. (Note: since it is an OEM disc, you may have to use the third option to get into Audit mode, not 100% sure - and that OEM disc may not even work, considering it is an OEM version, and probably designed specifically for that original laptop. However, you said you bought it, so....

Next, get Profile Relocator from bootblock: Software by Joseph Cox - extract and run.

How to use:
    Since Audit mode creates a throw away Admin account, after (and every time) reboot you get the same dialog as before, with 2 drop down boxes and the generalize button. When you are complete with making all of the changes, leave the first dropdown on "Enter System Out of Box Experience" and the second on "Reboot".

Et voil

Slug and alostpacket like this.
  7. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Yes :)

8. johnlgalt

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
  9. alostpacket

None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY

Well now I have a bookmark.:cool: Now I just have to buy me some SSDs. Annnnnnnnd incidentally now you're required by law to review my apps on said blog.

OK, I might be making that last part up :D

10. johnlgalt

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    Hey, not a bad idea :p I'll get cracking.

alostpacket likes this.
  11. alostpacket

None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    BlueMuze needs a bugfix I'm updating tonight, but I can email you the full version, still the same email right?

12. johnlgalt

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    yup, same.