1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

*question* bootloader

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mrikrafty, Jul 10, 2013.

1. mrikrafty

mrikrafty Newbie

I know this is a very nooby question but i would like to know why we need an unlocked bootloader and what it could do for us. Ive read somewhere that without an unlocked bootloader you cant flash custom roms but that confuses me because we already have custom roms and cwm. Im currently running on avatar rom 4.1.2 and im wondering what other cool things i could have with an unlocked bootloader. thanks for the feedback ^~^

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid

Custom ROMs, yes we do have, but not as near as many that we could have if we had an unlocked bootloader.

It's the custom kernels/recoveries we cannot have.

But we have a recovery?

Yes but it's a 2nd-init recovery, meaning that it is not permanently installed. If you got stuck in a boot loop and CM10 was not installed and factory resetting doesn't work, you would have to unbrick to get out. Or if you get the security error because of deleting/flashing something you shouldn't have you would need to unbrick.

With an unlocked bootloader we can flash any recovery, kernel, ROM we want that's made for this device.

With a bypassed bootloader (with the help of loki), we can flash any recovery, kernel, ROM we want that's made for this device and patched with loki.

It's hard for devs to work on a device where the kernel cannot be touched. They have done very hard work to get around security errors from a locked up bootloader. It would have saved them a lot of time if the bootloader was unlocked. With that time saved, we would be able to see a lot more ROMs from devs. :)

And I mean ROMs built by source.

We would also be on CM10.1 by now if the bootloader were unlocked.

Sepero likes this.
  3. Karmandk

Karmandk Android Enthusiast

Only if Lg was nice enough to unlock the bootloader. Sigh:vroam:

4. mrikrafty

mrikrafty Newbie

Well damn. Thank you sammyz xD

LG Motion 4G Forum

The LG Motion 4G release date was August 2012. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2012
Release Date
Reviews