• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Question] Data, Wifi, phone updates

bahbuu

Lurker
Sep 16, 2009
Hey Everyone!

Just have a question regarding the HTC Hero.

I'm planning to buy an unlocked version of the phone (I current reside in Canada), and I know the 3G will not work.
However, I also live near my university campus (with campus-wide wifi).

So I'm thinking to get the phone but not get any data plan (so not EDGE) and primarily connect to the internet through wifi. (Until I leave campus anyway)

So I know at times I might not be able to connect to the internet...
so how would this effect my daily uses for the phone?

Such as...
1) Can I update my calendar app with all the details before I leave home and it'll still remember all the events/details without having to connect the internet again?

2) Can I update the weather app, and then it'll remember the info even without the internet?

etc.etc.

THANKS in advance! :)

Hmmmm.
You will still be able to update your [google] calendar app on either the phone or through the web and view the details away from the wifi connection. When you get a connection, the phone should synchronise relatively easily.

With the weather app, I would set it to update manually (otherwise, it may not display information). Then, you can control how regularly to update.

Only thing I would say is that if you are always connecting through your wifi, you may find your battery drain will be quicker that normal.

Other than that, it is a great phone (unlocked in the UK on Vodafone)....better with the ROM update :D

Upvote 0
Thanks! Well, it's most likely I'll turn off the wifi when I know I don't need instant access to the internet.

How about the mail/gmail widget? Would it be able to store you emails for you when it has access to the internet and still be able to read it without the internet?

Also, you mentioned you have the unlocked phone as well, so unlocked phones can still use the official ROM update (or download it flawlessly)?

Upvote 0
my main email account is Googlemail, just to make use of all the phone functionality. Another email account forwards to this one, and the whole lot comes down to the phone (you can set how the phone downloads your email through a number of settings). I use the HTC mail widget for viewing and accessing the mail.

Your answers:
When you are connected to the web, just refresh the mail to download new email (if you do not open them, the content will not download fully). Then you can access the content offline
This phone installed the HTC rom update easily.

Thing to remember about the Hero, is that it was designed to stream data from the web and works best in this way, though you can use offline.

Upvote 0
Also, you mentioned you have the unlocked phone as well, so unlocked phones can still use the official ROM update (or download it flawlessly)?
I bought an unlocked phone and I have downloaded and installed the updated ROM.

Regarding the weather app: I have just experimented. If I leave Weather to update automatically and switch off the internet connection the summary information on the Home screen is still displayed; if I tap this to open the Weather app it displays a blank screen and a Connection Failed message, however if I cancel this message the most recent 5-day forecast summary is shown. So it seems that the answer to your question is that the summary 5-day forecast is remembered even if you lose your internet connection.

Upvote 0
Hi, most applications will stay on there last update, until another connection is made.

so if you update your mail, weather before you leave, then will usually stay like that until you next connect to the internet.

although i would highly recommend getting some sort of internet bundle if possible as that is what makes full use of the HERO

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones