1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question for any Outlook users

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ZepTepi, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ZepTepi

ZepTepi Android Enthusiast

I emailed Microsoft support asking for help with this but have not received any replies so I thought I'd re-post my question here in case anyone here has dealt with this. If anyone knows of any other sites where I might get help please let me know.

Thank You

"Hello,

I recently started a new job where I am now using Outlook for the first time. I am trying to set up my Samsung S5 to be able to access my Outlook email, including receiving incoming email notifications, but am having problems doing so. I

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

What you use as a client on the PC is really immaterial and doesn't matter whether it's Outlook, Thunderbird, whatever. What matters is the server end of things and whether it's setup as imap or pop. I would make the IT dept. of your company the first port of call as they'll be able to fill you in on all that stuff. They may also tell you that you're not allowed to access work email on a personal phone, but that's one I'll leave to you ....

Dave

ZepTepi likes this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

ZepTepi likes this.
  4. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

A work around which works great for me:
    1-set up your work 0utlook with a rule to forward EVERY incoming email to your personal gmail.
    2-set up a rule in your personal Gmail which takes every email coming from your work address and removes it from your inbox and slaps a label (example myworkmail) on it. You can also give the label a color. Note thatgmail rules are best created and edited on pc, but of course they apply to this gmail as seen on phone also.
    3-on your phone in gmail, go to the special label (myworkemail) and adjust the notification options. These notification options are independent of your inbox notification. You can set up different sound. notification on one (inbox or myworkmail) didn't affect notification in the other.

It works great for being notified of new emails and reading them if you want (clicking on the myworkmail notification takes you straight to the myworlmail messages)

The only downside is it is difficult to reply to messages. If I want to reply then I go to Owa

Unexpected bonus...all meeting invites to your work email are also forwarded and show up on your Gmail calendar.I like that.

ZepTepi likes this.
  5. ZepTepi

I was told by several other managers this morning that Hilton actually charges us(Hilton employees) to use apps like OWA. Has something to do with fact that the data takes up space on their servers. Seems pretty ridiculous but that's apparently the case so. The managers I've spoken to just bookmark the url for their email in the phones browser.

6. ZepTepi

7. ZepTepi

I'll give that a try!

8. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

Is that for receiving work emails? If so then I'd be getting onto my boss/the IT dept. to supply you with the correct tools to do your job!

Dave

9. Lykkepillen

Lykkepillen Lurker

The native mail app works as long as it has an option for MS Exchange (which yours do). Try the following settings as I think the redirect happens because you type in the full web address as the server name:

User: mheidecker
    Pass: [Inset your password]
    Domain: hotels
    Server: mail.hilton.com

10. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

In a typical corporate environment, Outlook syncs to a Microsoft Exchange Server, and you can set your Android phone to sync to the Exchange Server if your IT people allow it. (They should. Smack them if they don't. :)) But you should not have to deal with OWA, at all.

I don't know if Hilton uses an Exchange Server. I'd guess so. If so, then...

Android can natively sync, email, contacts, and calendar with a Microsoft Exchange Server (which syncs to Outlook) so that Outlook and your Android device remain synced and you can see your Outlook email, contacts, & calendar on your built-in Android apps, without having to download any other apps. I set my wife's Android phone do that with her company's 365/Exchange server. It syncs perfectly with Outlook. You just need to set up a so-called "Corporate" (not POP or IMAP) email account on your Android device with your corporate login credentials. The procedure should go something like this...

Go to Settings->Accounts & Sync-> Add account. (Or something similar). Then:
    A) Select "Corporate".
    B) Enter your email address and password.
    C) Domain\Username: (Whatever yours are. Ask your IT people.)
    D) Password: (Whatever yours is.)
    E) Server: (Whatever yours is, but probably not OWA in the name. Ask your IT people.)
    F) Check SSL boxes. (Ask your IT people but you'll likely need to check these boxes.)
    G) Hit "Next".
    H) Choose/checkmark the desired sync categories, like email, contacts, & calendar.
    I) Enter your desired in-box name (which is how Android will label it in the list of in-boxes in your native email app).

Following is a post that I wrote about how to add a Hotmail account to your phone in order to sync Outlook to Android through Hotmail servers. Microsoft's Hotmail servers act almost exactly like Microsoft Exchange servers so it's basically the same process (different login credentials). You may find it useful.
    http://androidforums.com/android-ap...id-without-3rd-party-app-exchange-server.html