• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question for EVO Shift Handcent users

jkmasi

Android Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2010
Hi all,

I recently picked up an EVO 4g because I'm considering switching from Verizon to Sprint. I really wanted the Shift, but ended up with the EVO because of the small fonts on the Shift. The bigger screen on the EVO means larger native font size. I tried to compose a text message on the display Shift in the stock SMS app, and the font was TINY. I could never read that without my glasses.

I use Handcent, and I can set the font size for the message list, bubbles, and even for the edit box to something larger and more readable in Settings>Custom Style. However, when I change the font for the edit box, it's only bigger when I compose my message in portrait orientation. When I turn the phone to landscape, the font size displayed while I'm typing the text is the native font size for the phone. Since the Shift is designed to be used in landscape mode, I'm wondering if this is any different. If I can adjust the size of the font in the edit box for a larger font when composing a text in landscape mode, (using the hard keyboard) then I will exchange my evo for the shift. The ability to set the font size to something larger - not just for messages that are already sent - is a game changer for me.

Could someone please test this for me? If you already use Handcent, just change the font size for the Edit Box, and let me know if the setting works for composing in landscape with the hard keyboard.

Hopefully someone here can tell me because otherwise I would have to go to the Sprint store, download Handcent, make the config changes - all on the stupid tethered display phone.

Thank you so much!!!

As a handcent user, I've never actually looked into changing the font size. But you're in luck - the font can be changed in every field, including the text edit box. And it maintains that size with the keyboard out in landscape mode, or using the software keyboard in portrait mode. I raised the point size from 18 to 22 which was substantially larger.

Hopefully that helps!

Reactions: jkmasi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones