1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question for the Rom devs.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sector4, Sep 14, 2011.

1. sector4

sector4 Member

I am trying to learn how to build my own ROM. I have found a bunch of info regarding the Android Kitchen. I have set it up in Cygwin and in an Ubuntu Terminal i run and have had no luck so far. So my question is what programs/OS do you use to build your roms and should i just get a linux box up and running? i have an oldish laptop laying around somewhere i can put it on. if it still works.

2. puyow18

puyow18 Android Enthusiast

3. sector4

sector4 Member

ya those are what i have set up and i have had no luck my roms won't boot :(. always get stuck on either LG screen or at the Boot Animation and then bootloop

4. tripdoc79

tripdoc79 Android Enthusiast

the kitchen is for porting roms.. and does not support all phones, you have to have the required files to port a rom to an unsupported phone, if you want to build a rom or learn how, i suggest going tot he Android Open Source Project page to set up your system to repo the quired files and set up the build environment, you will come upon a few hitches when following the guide to set it up, but google is your friend, and the information is easily available to get everything up and running, may i suggest starting here Initializing a Build Environment | Android Open Source

You may also want to check outt he Cyanogenmod Wiki at cyanogenmod.com as it can be very useful

5. pmb116

pmb116 Android Enthusiast

In the guides thread asadullah has a video posted as well that should be of some help

6. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Extreme Android User

I use the HTC Kitchen to cook stock ROMs and to repackage others n certain mods etc. Works great, but I do it on a dedicated ubuntu installation, no vm or cgywin for me ;).