1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Question from a VZW customer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ronin3178, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Ronin3178

Ronin3178 Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2010
    Ok, I have an OG Droid right now with VZW. I am liking what I am seeing about this MT. Given that VM is owned by Sprint, I haven't had a Sprint phone in a long time, does Sprint use SIM cards or not?

If not, would it be possible to program the MT as a VZW phone until my contract is up? Just did some research on band-types and the OG Droid and MT seem to have the same bands.

Advertisement

2. hitsndc

hitsndc Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2011
    There is no SIM card in this phone. Not sure about swapping service to the phone

3. apsterling

apsterling Member
    None

There's a number called an ESN MEID that has the Triumph registered as a SprintVM phone, so taking that to Verizon is probably a no-go as they'll read the ESN and compare to their models and see that they don't offer it, and likely decline to service it.

4. Ronin3178

Ronin3178 Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2010
    Ok, but I am thinking more along the line of changing the ESN, to say what my OG Droid is, so that I can finish out my contract with a better phone than the OG. I have no idea if this can be done, changing the ESN, but I have seen threads in the past about say taking a VZ phone to VM.

5. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    One is a GSM network one is CDMA. They're not compatible. You can't change the phone ID, it is illegal.

6. Ronin3178

Ronin3178 Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2010
    Ok, that was part of my original question, as to was it even possible. All I could find was that they operated on the same bands.

Well, rooting a phone and flashing a custom rom is illegal and voids your warranty, but we still do it.

7. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    Rooting a phone is no longer illegal. Rooting your Android Phone No Longer a Crime! AndroidGuys

Changing the phone's ESN is illegal. http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...e-sprint-phone-virgin-mobile.html#post2827600
    Read also: HackersCatalog.com. Cloning Cellular Phones! which makes it read as though cloning isn't illegal if you own both phones.

Just found this from the FFC: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=operations_3&id=cellular

From this, it reads even if you own both phones and aren't doing anything funny with it, it is still illegal.

8. lanceg

lanceg Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    Both VZW and Sprint are CDMA, so technically they could operate on each others networks, but they disallow it.

Swapping the ESN is illegal, and even if you did it I don't think you can go from carrier to carrier, I think all you might be able to do is make a VM phone act like a real Sprint phone, but people have also reported that after doing it they can only make and recieve calls, data no longer works.