• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question going from iPhone to Nexus One

im thinking of buying a nexus one before they stop selling them would i be able to put my iphone 3GS sim card in it and start using it.

Would it effect my plan with at&t or would penalize me in anyway?

Nexus one is sold unlocked so yeah you can throw in any carriers sim card and it will work (as long as the bands are compatible).. ill leave the penalizing question to someone else cause I'm with T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
It wouldn't penalize you, although if you buy the T-Mobile banded phone, you will only be able to use EDGE network on AT&T, and not 3G.

Interestingly, AT&T is able to detect what phone you are using, so you may be able to step down from the iPhone data plan to a less expensive data plan (although I can't confirm this, being a T-Mobile customer as well).

Upvote 0
No penalty, no problem. One thing, however, is that AT&T phased out their unlimited data plan for tiered limited usage. You're unlimited data plan is grandfathered to your account so if you need it, it will be cheaper in the long run to not change data plans.

BTW, the Nexus now has a model that supports AT&T's 1900 Mhz band for 3G. Works great.

Upvote 0
thanks for the reply just wanted to make sure im not goin to get penalize for using my iphone plan with the nnexus one

I think the trick is to not tell them.
Just pop the sim in and move on.
They might actually want you to change plans, which is something you really do not want to do.

The problem is that they will probably figure it out when they run sweeps on their system and discover the handset is not an iPhone.

Remember to buy an AT&T nexus tho :p

Upvote 0
Im one of those who switched over from an iphone to nexus one while having the same plan. ;)

No problems with the carrier at all. You just plug your same SIM into the nexus one and start using it right away. There shouldnt be any effect on your bills whatsoever. This is of course, provided you buy the nexus one directly from google, which is already unlocked.

Go ahead and get the nexus, you wont regret it. At least, im not. :)

Reactions: The K-Zoo Kid
Upvote 0
I did the exact same thing about 2 months (or so) ago. I still have my iPhone plan with unlimited data and the only thing that has changed is when I log into my ATT account, my phone picture has changed from a 3GS to a generic flipphone placeholder image, still says iphone package next to it.

I even have the ATT account app on my N1, so ATT knows I'm using a N1 and they don't seem to care. Since ATT converge is excellent in my area, I'm going to keep using them.

Also, they're still going to sell them, they're just going from online to brick-mortar store sales.

Upvote 0
I even have the ATT account app on my N1, so ATT knows I'm using a N1 and they don't seem to care.

I think AT&T would prefer everyone to buy unlocked handsets if they were going to continue to use their data plans. The idea of subsidized phones is to lock you in to their plans, which is where they make their money. By buying the phone outright and still using the plan, they don't have to kick back a cent to Apple.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones