• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question holding me back from rooting.

H

Hand76

Right now there is little that I look forward to with rooting. Obviously the icing on the rooting cake would be in hopes to get a froyo rom sooner rather than later. But one question and concern I have with that is when a froyo rom comes it will remove sense? Meaning stuff like facebook contacts syncing will no longer work?

Did I get that right?

I don't have a need for tethering. If I was to root now the only thing I would do is remove a few installed apps.

I am just looking ahead to when froyo is released that I will not lose out on key sense features just for the sake of installing it early.

I just was not sure if there would be a froyo rom released that will include sense and not close root.

Upvote 0
soon as there is an easier root method, there would be no reason to NOT root. having a custom recovery alone to do full backups of your phone is priceless to me. its not like you lose anything from root anyways. its a complete win in every aspect. like someone said before, when you root youre not obligated to flash a new rom. all it does is open superuser permissions to do whatever you want. no drawbacks. and vanilla android does have a level of facebook syncing, but none of the current roms support it. that is one thing im waiting for.

Upvote 0
So far with my rooted phone I've:

• Removed bloat (CityTD, Teeter, HtcTwitter, Facebook, QuickOffice, etc.)
  • Backed up the phone using Nandroid and Titanium Backup
  • Setup Wifi tethering
  • Gone AdFree
  • Installed a new boot animation (a very geeky one at that)
Root also gives you full control over CPU speed, cache, hardware, etc. It's easy and well worth it!

Upvote 0
Guys I appreciate the responses and I know no one had a crystal ball but no one has answered my main question yet.

Do you think there will be a rom with froyo that has everything htc sense has? Basically all the bells and whistles of the official htc 2.2 update that has only been tweaked to not lock you out of root?

Upvote 0
Guys I appreciate the responses and I know no one had a crystal ball but no one has answered my main question yet.

Do you think there will be a rom with froyo that has everything htc sense has? Basically all the bells and whistles of the official htc 2.2 update that has only been tweaked to not lock you out of root?

Eventually.

Upvote 0
i'm still trying to decide if i want to root, been putting it off...is there a way to go back to stock and remove root if i decide i want to sell the phone or need to send it back for any reason?

I rooted my phone, but this is also my concern. The only thing I've done to it so far is installed wireless tethering and titanium back up.

How does one go back after they rooted their Incredible? Is it even possible? I know if they release an OTA that they usually close the root and basically disable it, but I'm just wondering if I can go back to nonrooted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones