• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [QUESTION] How to Backup WiMax RSA keys

Matlock

Android Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2010
Texas!
twitter.com
Same method as I posted.

I read that Amon_RA is able to make a wimax.img from recover. Is this correct?

Yes, it does. From what I understand, the new clockwork does too. Of course, the wimax.img from a RA nandroid would only be restorable from RA. If you'v messed around with hboot versions, it won't do you any good, either.

I suppose that's the benefit of doing it this other way.

Upvote 0
tried doing it via terminal emulator..

no go

actually getting a little worried lol.. I can't seem to verify I have my RSA keys...but I was just using 4g a few days ago

snap20110101_125417.png

Upvote 0
tried doing it via terminal emulator..

no go

actually getting a little worried lol.. I can't seem to verify I have my RSA keys...but I was just using 4g a few days ago

snap20110101_125417.png

Hmm, that's definitely not normal. What happens when you run "grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0"? Is it still just hanging? Are you not in a 4g area to test it, now? Did you ever make a nandroid backup with RA when you knew it was working (to get a wimax.img)?

I'll try this other backup method in a little bit when I have a few minutes.

EDIT: I see you didn't update to the latest wimax, either. Did you change anything recently (beyond the normal stuff that couldn't cause rsa key loss)?

Upvote 0
just splash screens, finally got the grep RSA to work just minutes ago but stll get the above when I run wimax_mtd

So, you verified you have your keys, but the wimax_mtd command still doesn't work? That's strange. That output looks like there's a problem with your keys. It's not getting far at all. Do you happen to have a nandroid backup with RA that you can go back to as a test?

Upvote 0
Did a Nand backup while I was at work, and ClockworkMod 3.0 does in-fact backup the WiMax.img from the device. weather or not it fully works is not something I want to find out. But it seems to be the right size and format. I have no way of opening up the file, so no way to verify what I am looking at anyway. Not to mention, wouldn't know what the heck I was looking at. hahah

Upvote 0
In linix/unix a ">" will redirect stdout (standard output) to whatever you put after the ">". In this case, it's a file. If you got errors, it will still create the file, as that's what you told it to do. Since it couldn't gather the output it needed, stdout was blank, so it wrote a blank file. That's why you have the file anyway. What is the error that you got?

Upvote 0
backed up in clockwork this morning just to be safe. all appears to be good.

I would believe my phone being odd and quirky...though it is much better after my last creation.

I am running a sort of Frankenstein ROM where I took some elements of some guys blue themed ROM and replaced elements of Mynn's

it runs super smooth and looks awesome as a "tron" theme.

I am going to start teaching myself how to cook themes next week wooohoo

Reactions: Matlock
Upvote 0
Post a sample of your TRON-ish theme! I am kind of tempted to use Myms to see how well it runs. But I am waiting for cyanogenmod 7. ;-)

backed up in clockwork this morning just to be safe. all appears to be good.

I would believe my phone being odd and quirky...though it is much better after my last creation.

I am running a sort of Frankenstein ROM where I took some elements of some guys blue themed ROM and replaced elements of Mynn's

it runs super smooth and looks awesome as a "tron" theme.

I am going to start teaching myself how to cook themes next week wooohoo

Upvote 0
Post a sample of your TRON-ish theme! I am kind of tempted to use Myms to see how well it runs. But I am waiting for cyanogenmod 7. ;-)

i apologize i just noticed this...I will send you what I have.

there are two ways to do it...

one was using matted blues/myns/folder organizer/launcher pro and some dloaded icons, custom icons, and wallpapers....oh and a modified widget locker.

the other way...frankentron I am trying to make flashable some how
i took the services.jar from a guys neon blue them and replaced the services.jar in myns. it worked but killed some things like the notifications toggle etc.

btw..I never realized I was mentioned in rfd thread...thank you! I am going to start a petition to get my screen name fixed so that people can actually get to my profile lol

thinking about this a little more..I am really shocked someone has not made a tool that simply backs up the wimax keys

Upvote 0
Yes, it does. From what I understand, the new clockwork does too. Of course, the wimax.img from a RA nandroid would only be restorable from RA. If you'v messed around with hboot versions, it won't do you any good, either.

I suppose that's the benefit of doing it this other way.

does Amon ra automatically back up the wimax keys when you do a nand? or is there a different procedure to do this in amon? Thanks

Upvote 0
does Amon ra automatically back up the wimax keys when you do a nand? or is there a different procedure to do this in amon? Thanks

It depends on the version. I'm still using RA 1.8 (if it isn't broken, don't fix it), so the wimax partition is automatically backed up every time I make a nandroid backup. In the newer versions, you are prompted for what to backup. You'll have to select wimax if you want to back it up. Of course, as long as you've made at least one backup with it included, you're good, just keep that particular backup in a safe place :).

Reactions: luigic81
Upvote 0
It depends on the version. I'm still using RA 1.8 (if it isn't broken, don't fix it), so the wimax partition is automatically backed up every time I make a nandroid backup. In the newer versions, you are prompted for what to backup. You'll have to select wimax if you want to back it up. Of course, as long as you've made at least one backup with it included, you're good, just keep that particular backup in a safe place :).

I think I have atleast 1 backup from 1.8, I'm on 2.1.1 now and these are my only options
"Backup/Restore
Nand backup :: Make a selective Nandroid backup
Nand restore :: Restore a Nandroid backup
Backup Google proprietary system files :: Makes a backup of the Google proprietary system files in /cache/google
Restore Google proprietary system files :: Restores the Google proprietary system files from /cache/google"

Upvote 0
When you select the option to a nand backup, it should prompt you to select which partitions to backup (data, system, cache, wimax, etc.)

EDIT: wait, 2.1.1, you say. Maybe that option wasn't until 2.2.1.

EDIT2: Yeah, I just looked at the changelog. That's option came with RA 2.2. You can update to it if you want. Otherwise, 2.1.1 should behave just like 1.8.0 in that it will just backup wimax every time.

Upvote 0
When you select the option to a nand backup, it should prompt you to select which partitions to backup (data, system, cache, wimax, etc.)

EDIT: wait, 2.1.1, you say. Maybe that option wasn't until 2.2.1.

EDIT2: Yeah, I just looked at the changelog. That's option came with RA 2.2. You can update to it if you want. Otherwise, 2.1.1 should behave just like 1.8.0 in that it will just backup wimax every time.

awesome thanks!

Upvote 0
ok...
so.. just for my curiosity..
what does one do.. if they loose these Keys and dont have a backup? is the phone hosed? or can Sprint help get it back on?

There's no way for you to regenerate the unique keys put on the phone when it was first flashed. HTC *probably* has a way to do it, but there's no way you can do it, and if you go through the proper channels, you'll probably just end up with a new phone.

Upvote 0
reading the link to get a backup these keys.. it says.. to do it... before root.

I have root and myn's warm rom.

is there an easier method?

some one said.. that a nandroid in recovery mode.. will backup these keys.
true?

Yes, Amon RA recovery and newer versions of CW backup youre Wimax RSA keys when performing nandroid backups.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones