1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Support Question how to get past pattern lock on $10 LG phone

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by jimdays, Sep 17, 2016.

1. jimdays

jimdays Newbie
    None

Nov 20, 2015
    I found a smartphone (typical $10 Walmart LG smartphone). When I turned it on, there is a pattern lock (connect the dots in the right order) to be able to use the phone as a wifi device. I tried various permutations to turn on the phone with no success. A cell phone shop said they could reset the phone for $10, and then told me I could do it myself by simultaneously pressing the power button and volume up (or down) button with the phone off. I tried various different ways of doing that with no success. I was able to get the phone to say "safe mode" in the corner, but I still couldn't get past the pattern lock. Could someone give me some other ideas how to get past the pattern lock so that I can use the phone as a wifi device? It boots up as a Tracfone. The phone is a type that has no sim card, but has a 4GB removable external memory.

Advertisement

2. psionandy

psionandy Android Expert

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    What you do then, is take it to the Police/Lost Property/Cellphone company, so that they can return it to its owner (who may be worried that they have lost it)

3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    AFAIK there is no way to bypass the pattern lock, because if there was, it would rather defeat the purpose of it, to securely lock the phone.

4. jimdays

jimdays Newbie
    None

Nov 20, 2015
    Since the cell phone shop said they could unlock it for $10, I am assuming that it is possible to do it. I would really really appreciate only replies that simply answer the problem that I posted. Other people may find this topic through Google and also be looking for a useful reply. If someone wants to attempt to return the phone to its owner, that's fine, (and I commend you for that) but that is not a useful reply to my question. If I am able to unlock the phone and look at the contacts, I might well attempt to return the phone to its owner. (I have returned two phones (that I found) in the past that were already unlocked and I was able to see the contacts and then call and return the phone to the owner.)

5. psionandy

psionandy Android Expert

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    You don't need to unlock the phone to return it to anyone... The phone company, or the police will be able to do it for you

6. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Unlocking the phone is an invasion of privacy, no matter how you slice it. Police or phone company is the smartest option.

7. ThePhizzle

ThePhizzle Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 4, 2015
    Male
    Development
    Fresno,California
    If you lost your phone at walmart would you not want a good Samaritan to give it to the walmart employees to hold so that you might be able to reclaim it?

scary alien, psionandy and Dannydet like this.
  8. TurtlePwr82

TurtlePwr82 Member
    None

Sep 2, 2016
    Male
    Well, the problem with your second post is that in your first post you stated you wanted to use the device as a wifi device, not return it to the owner. It still stands that no one here will help you try to get past the lock because, besides being just wrong, it would defeat the purpose of screen/pattern/pin lock if it could be bypassed, much like factory reset protection. Please don't erase someone's possible memories/information, and just turn the phone in.

9. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    The fact of the matter is it's not your device to unlock and you're not going to get any help to unlock something that isn't your property here.

Our only advice is to hand the phone in to the police as it isn't yours to access.

As such, topic closed.