1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Question on folders Root Explorer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thetingster, Sep 14, 2011.

1. thetingster

thetingster Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 27, 2009
    Top Secret
    Utah, USA
    I haven't rooted yet but I will. ;-) I am using Root explorer and was snooping around and found something I've not seen before. There is an SDCARD folder and SDCARD-EXT folder? Can someone confirm? It appears the later is the external card and the former the internal.

Granted I've not had such a sweet/awesome phone but I'm getting confused now where to store or move stuff.

I have also noticed that when the phone is mounted via USB to my computer I get THREE additional drives. I have renamed the one I believe is the SDCARD and the other I'm sure is the internal mem. But what is the third one? I think it's labeled MOTO.

Advertisement

2. milrtime83

milrtime83 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    That is correct

You have the external SD card, the Internal SD space, and the 3rd one is probably the internal phone space.

3. messenger13

messenger13 Android Expert
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    I only get two drives when I plug into my laptop. What Root Explorer calls "/sdard-ext", my laptop calls "Removable Disk". And what Root Explorer calls "/sdard", my laptop calls it "MOT". MOT is the internal 8GB of storage.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    And if you look in Titanium Backup you'll see more interesting stuff.

ROM space: 500 MB
    RAM (actually not listed in TiBu, but found elsewhere, like Running Servies): 768 MB
    App storage space - ~4.2 GB
    Internal storage - 8 GB
    External Storage - 16 GB

So, our app storage space is completely independent (at least partition wise) from the 8 GB of internal storage.

Our phone comes stock with 29+ GB of space, including all of the different spaces. And that leads me to believe that in reality the internal storage is merely different partitions of the same 16 GB card - which means we might be able to later unlock more RAM since there is still about 3 GB missing (based upon my supposition).

Hmmmm

5. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    I would thing the same thing. I'm sure someone will have a ROM that partitions accordingly.