1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Question on my droid. And prepaid.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by chris015, Aug 7, 2013.

1. chris015

chris015 Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2013
    My father gave me his mint android nexus 4g. he was using it on a contract until he upgraded his phone. Its a CDMA. (just learning this mess,be easy on me lol)

Annnyways. Im wanting to use it on a prepaid plan. Is it possible with it being a prior contract phone? Who can do it? Hopefully a bigger chain so i can get the cards etc at wally world. I hate doing stuff like this online,as its usually a pain.

Advertisement

2. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    If it is a CDMA phone the only major carriers you can use it on are Verizon and Sprint. Other smaller carriers like Ting, Republic, Virgin Mobile, etc. use those major two carriers networks.

NOT SURE, but I am pretty sure that CDMA phones are only allowed to stay on their CDMA carrier network. For example, a Sprint phone cannot become a Verizon phone. But it could be used in most cases on Virgin.

Best is to ask your father where he used the phone and begin there with process of elimination.

For future reference:
    List of United States mobile virtual network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. chris015

chris015 Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2013
    im looking at the phone now,and its under the network of sprint. Now,boost mobile is on the sprint network right? Would they cover it? Id call em,but my old phones off and my roommate wont be in for another few hours. If it werent so rainy and nasty out id drive to boost.

4. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    Yes Boost is on Sprint's network. Not sure how they do their phones though. You may only have a sporting chance you can use that phone with them. Hopefully you can.

Do you already have your Google account? If so, sign up for your free Google Voice account. Then you can make free calls in the US using your computer via gmail and your Google Voice number

Phone calls make triumphant return to Gmail via Hangouts

5. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    I recently read some news about better portability of Sprint phones to MVNOs like Boost. I just googled it and found this:
    Sprint phones are now welcome on Boost and Virgin Mobile
    However, as I recall, even though Sprint is willing, it also requires the MVNO to be willing and Virgin is not. Hopefully I remember something incorrectly about that.

I agree about Google Voice. Also on the phone on wifi you can use Talkatone or GrooveIP with your Google Voice number or MagicJack (which I think will have you come from a generic number).