• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question on Root?

UKCatFan

Android Expert
Dec 15, 2010
This is not what you think...

I would love to know why so many people jump straight into rooting their phone when they obviously do not know what that means or the implications of the actions they make after being rooted??? We have way too many people coming on here begging for help because they bricked their precious phone. I am no expert by any means, but I have a very solid knowledge of computers in general and a working knowledge of Linux (just put Ubuntu on kid's pc) and even I studied the crap out of what rooting my phone meant before I did it. And guess what? I have had ZERO problems caused by rooting and/or the actions taken with SU privileges.

If people would just do their homework and stay away from stuff they do not understand, then there would not be nearly as many frustrated people!

p.s. If you do not know why I mention Linux or possibly even know what it is, then you probably should not try to root your phone.

I absolutely second that thought. I recently flashed my phone, before that I rooted it but I didn't jump and do it right away. I read all that I could on these forums. I wish I had the knowledge to put Linux on my computer, though. Anyways, what I fail to understand is how someone bricks their phone nowadays with apps like z4root, it's almost impossible XD

Upvote 0
well its called trial and error...you cant learn without making a few errors...plus,if your dumb enough to start tinkering with your 250 cell phone with no knowledge,you deserve to brick your phone..i was dumb enough to install ROM MANAGER on my old optimus and it caused it to brick!!needless to say ill NEVER install that pos excuse of an app!! but i def agree,if your gonna try to mess with your electronics,do your homework first.lol

Upvote 0
Well speaking for myself, I see it as a black and white issue you are either tech savvy or not. To me there is no middle ground

You either have some natural ability to get technology or you don't, and most people just don't "get it". They still try and take on things that are well above their abilities.

I am by know means an expert, but having built my own PCs at an early age and having a father figure who had me around it all the time, I just know how to handle it.

Upvote 0
I am tech savvy; having built several of my own computers, installed linux several times on several computers (heck even DOS and Win3.1 and the successor Windows versions). I feel I'd have a pretty fair chance of being successful at rooting my phone. However, I'm not going to do it right away (haven't gotten mine and my wife's phones yet). First, I don't want to void the warranty. Secondly, I just plain want to read more information and be sure that I have a good solid knowledge base before I do it. I'm cautious, you see. I hope other who are contemplating rooting read this thread and decide to become cautious.

Upvote 0
I am tech savvy; having built several of my own computers, installed linux several times on several computers (heck even DOS and Win3.1 and the successor Windows versions). I feel I'd have a pretty fair chance of being successful at rooting my phone. However, I'm not going to do it right away (haven't gotten mine and my wife's phones yet). First, I don't want to void the warranty. Secondly, I just plain want to read more information and be sure that I have a good solid knowledge base before I do it. I'm cautious, you see. I hope other who are contemplating rooting read this thread and decide to become cautious.

At first, I did the "temp root" route with z4. Lets you be rooted for just that session. I carefully removed bloatware. Then, rebooted and was unrooted. However, apps like setCPU which lets you set CPU profiles (like dialing down your phone to mimimum MHz automatically when your phone is in standby) needs "super user" permission -- which is being rooted. So, after a few sessions of temp root, I went permanent and never looked back.

Even with perm root, you can always unclick the root at any point if you are worried about warranty. But you have to restore all the BLOATWARE. :rolleyes: You can either move it off and store it somewhere, or do a complete restore via Andyo's LGNST files.

However... if you want to SELL the phone, having it rooted and bloatware removed actually makes the phone more valuable! :cool: You've already done the work. (just like unlocked and jailbroken iphones sell for more than regular iPhones)

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones