1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question on Rooting..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BIG CAT 7, Aug 21, 2012.

1. BIG CAT 7

BIG CAT 7 Android Enthusiast

Can you still take an OTA if you are rooted??? I know Jellybean is right around the corner and was curious cause I am rooted. If you can't then is there an unroot tool??????

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kadimi

kadimi Android Enthusiast

Yes you can but I think you will need to reroot once updated

3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i would wait until you get confirmation that accepting an ota will work on a rooted device. ota's in general usually have patches that closes any previous exploit. this can have adverse affect on rooted devices. it could unroot you, it could brick it, or it could do nothing at all. also if it unroots you then you will most likely have to wait to see if there is another exploit found before you can root the device again.

it is always best practice to never accept an ota while you are rooted. all you really need to do is wait until a dev has cooked up a rom that includes the latest ota which in this case is Jelly Bean.

and this practice should be followed on any device that is rooted.

novox77 likes this.
  4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Pretty sure we'll have a flashable stock jelly bean rom available as soon as the OTA for JB is released. It's really trivial to package superuser and the su binary with the stock ROM. If the official ROM is leaked early, we'll have the rooted version early as well.

I see no reason not to root or unlock the bootloader in advance. And given that the root method used to root the Infinity is the same as the one for the Prime, I suspect the exploit won't be patched either, but who knows. Safer to root now when you know there's a working exploit. Then just flash a rooted stock ROM. Again, the rooted flashable ROM usually comes as soon as a dev gets a hold of the stock OTA package.

This is one advantage Android has over iDevice jailbreaking: once rooted, you can stay rooted and still get stock updates via flashable rooted stock ROMs. With a jailbreak, you have to lose your jailbreak if you want a newer iOS version; then you have to wait for a new jailbreak exploit.

ocnbrze likes this.