1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Question on this website

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Deleted User, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Hi.
    I'm new to this website. Is this the right place to ask questions on developing apps for android studio? When I put my scenario or difficulty, do I need to put the details of my computer operating system or just the code and what I'm trying to do? Can someone tell me?

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Try the Android Development forum.
    They speak your language.

MrJavi, ocnbrze and Unforgiven like this.
  3. James_Watson

James_Watson Android Enthusiast

You may post your question. Let's have a try. :rob:

MrJavi, ocnbrze and Unforgiven like this.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Start a thread in the App Development and the folks that hang out there may get you pointed in the right direction.

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

OK, but can you give me the link?

6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I have taken 2 types of courses: Unity for android games & Android studio for developing android apps. I was in the process of writing a roman number app. I succeeded at a simple level. However, when I downloaded those from google play store to compare them to mine, I found that they were very well written - in a sense that they could display the overbar (aka vinculum) when bigger numbers were converted. I made a google search and I found the unicode for this BUT I cannot find how i can display my roman number this way to make it look professionally done. Excuse my words but the words "professionally done" might not be suitable. Whatever it is, I want to do the same thing. To worsen the situation, almost none of the sample android apps I check online have recent examples. When I say recent, it means the codes are only for outdated versions of android if you really go to the https://developer.android.com/studio website to look at the latest version.

I have also gone to websites like stack overflow but these appear to be for real high professionals. I'm saying this because I asked questions which didn't benefit anyone to the point where my account was suspended. I was very fed up but I got no sources of help. Bear in mind that the forum you point me to must have the ability to - if possible - write / give the codes which can help. I don't want another one similar to stack overflow because I don't like the idea of being downvoted / stupid comments given when I already know almost nothing. I don't want to sound discourteous but I consider that very insulting. Any help at all would be appreciated.

MrJavi likes this.
  8. James_Watson

Hi, I am not sure what you mean that 'they could display the overbar (aka vinculum) when bigger numbers were converted'.
    Would you like to post some screenshots about the "professionally done" as well as yours? :rob:

MrJavi likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Hi James,
    Thanks for the concern. Try this link where my question is in the correct section. I have inserted an actual screenshot of what I get when I use the app from the google play store. Whatever it is mine is displaying, the overbar cannot be shown / displayed properly - not the way I want. Only the overbar can be shown. See https://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-add-overbar.1322275/. Please insert all future comments here.

10. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Welcome to Android Forums @Androidbeginner123

Have you tried ApkTool? Its a reverse engineering application software. Perhaps you could find the answer you seek by decompiling a compatible apk and examining it. Even compare it to your own.

Best of luck

#10 MrJavi, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  11. James_Watson

Okay. I got your screenshot.
    I have tried some codes in an exercise app to show roman numerals for 1K, 5K as well as 10K.
    I found that you just need to include their unicode codes such as '\u2180', '\u2181' and '\u2182' in your char strings to be showed.
    The only difference is that what will be show is a standard symbol for roman numeral 10K,other than a 'X' with a overbar.

MrJavi likes this.
  12. James_Watson

The screenshot is as below. For your reference.
    Roman numerals.jpg

MrJavi likes this.
  13. Gabriel Luke

Gabriel Luke Lurker

Sure, You can ask and suggest anythings about android devices and about your project. Many developers and android expert is here to resolve your problem.

This is not your fault according to me to develop an App there are two persons are required one like you who write code for help and the second one a designer who design the App in different ways. The BackEnd code may be little bit different form those apps that you check on Appstore but the designs will be totally different from each other.