1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Question re Lesser GPL

Discussion in 'Application Development' started by Dutchmarco, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Dutchmarco

Dutchmarco Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Netherlands
    So I'm considering creating the most oh-wow-isn't-it-fabulous Android application (s) there is / are. Trust me, it'll be absolutely smegtastic. And I have the intention of selling it in the market for a few measly dollars (with free alpha and beta versionsat some places along the line). But I was looking into using an additional library for some functionality I'll need, and this library is LGPL. Will this put a stop on my plans for selling the software? (I tried looking up the LGPL http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html, but I'm left with questions, like is it necessary for my application's source to be made available too? (that's another way of asking: 'is it OK to use this lib in a commercial program?')

Advertisement

2. 28064212

28064212 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    This Wikipedia page seems to answer your question. You can use it and license it under your own terms so long as it's not a derivative work

3. Dutchmarco

Dutchmarco Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Netherlands
    This is cool news! So basically, I may use it so long as I don't publish a new library, but I may sell the product which I use the library in for moneys (not that people will be wiling to pay many moneys for my product, most certainly not with the competition out there).

Thanks, I hadn't thought of looking on WP - this does clarify lots!