1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Question RE preloaded apps

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Alan123, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Alan123

Alan123 Lurker
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    I was getting within inches of an Android to replace my iPhone but stopped cold when I was told that certain apps that come with it cannot be removed. I made a note of these apps, which include Facebook and Gowalla (this was at AT&T). Went home, looked up their permissions on the Droid marketplace and was alarmed to see what they allow.

My question is this: I don't use FB or Gowalla. So despite never having signed into them, can they still read my address book (this is one of the permissions they have).

Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, so I was searching more on the net and found this story on cnet about my exact same complaints. According to Sprint, the apps are in a special state and cannot do anything unless you interact with them. Is it only me who finds that hard to believe? Grrr, I guess I'm stuck with my iPhone, which I am bored with now and have been for awhile.

Advertisement

2. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    They'll only access your contacts if you go into the app and tell it to add friends from your contacts. That's the only reason why they need access to your contacts..

3. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    With all the people who use facebook don't you think horror stories woulda surfaced by now if you had something to worry about...I also suspect you read the permissions and dont actually understand exactly what they would be used for

4. Alan123

Alan123 Lurker
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    So you actually have to sign in to do it? I'm not so worried about FB, though I don't like the fact it is on there and I can't choose what to do with it. As the CNET article said, there was a game on the Sprint phone that was some stupid, violent, 3rd party game, and it's stuff like that which I don't trust.

This is part of what I am troubled by about how American business conducts itself. Those apps are on there because people paid money and in doing so, AT&T et al decided that is more important than my right to privacy and to determine what sits on my phone. Shame on Google for installing apps over the air through firmware updates.

I mean, Blockbuster? Are you kidding me? They are toast yet they can pay money to get on people's phones. Who the heck watches a full length movie on a stupid cell phone? Absolutely dumb. Very disappointed.

5. Alan123

Alan123 Lurker
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    ]With all the people who use facebook don't you think horror stories woulda surfaced by now if you had something to worry about.

Investors in Madoff's fund probably said the same thing.

I also suspect you read the permissions and dont actually understand exactly what they would be used for
    And you're right, I don't understand what they are used for, which is why I started this thread. I'm coming from an iPhone where I didn't have to think about this stuff.

6. lennyjew

lennyjew Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 22, 2010
    Calibration Technician
    Dublin, Ohio
    You could always temproot the phone (if the one you get is capable of being rooted), remove the bloatware with titanium backup (after making a back up so you can re-install them when an OTA update comes along), then remove root user permissions.

I've got my old Eris rooted and running strong and I've helped plenty of friends root temporarily root to get rid of system apps that they didn't want or need.