1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Question regarding 3G and wifi

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by microserfs, May 11, 2010.

  1. microserfs

    microserfs Member
    Thread Starter
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    36
    Posts:
    61
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010

    Apr 22, 2010
    61
    1
    36
    video game reviewing
    Brighton, UK
    Hey guys

    Battery seems to be consumed alot by wifi when I use it, but less so by 3G if I'm out and not using it (and only syncing every couple of hours).. is this normal? I assume that 3G must take up less battery...? Wifi tends to eat 10% of my battery in five-ten minutes... :\
     

    Advertisement

  2. Ngo93

    Ngo93 Android Enthusiast
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    68
    Posts:
    586
    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2010

    I've noticed the same thing. When I'm connected to my wifi at home the battery usage for wifi sky rockets. Right now it's at 39%, been connected to my home wifi for about 3 hours now.
     
  3. takeshi

    takeshi Android Expert
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    163
    Posts:
    3,354
    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2009

    Dec 6, 2009
    3,354
    283
    163
    Packet for packet 3G on the Droid eats more battery than WiFi.

    Be careful how you interpret the battery usage screen. 10% is not 10% of your battery. It's 10% of what was used of your battery since the last charge. For example, if total battery usage was 20% and the battery usage screen indicates that 10% was WiFi then WiFi acutally used ~2% of total battery.
     

Share This Page

Loading...