1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Question regarding my Note and Root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by enduser2941, Aug 10, 2012.

1. enduser2941

enduser2941 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Systems Admin
    NJ
    Hey all,

I was looking to Root my Note when Unforgiven replied to me with something that made me have to ask this question before I potentially cause myself some heartaches and headaches.

I was looking at this thread http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/353591-how-some-root-terminology.html as it came up when looking up a definition of OTA. (I know that this link talks about the Thunderbolt and Root) According to the link OTA stands for Over The Air, which I can only assume refers to updates pushed out over the air from the manufactures or the provider, however what stopped me in my tracks was that the first thing this link says is "DO NOT ever attempt to accept an OTA while rooted, an official OTA update needs the stock recovery to apply it. attempting to take an OTA without the stock recovery can result in a failed harmless attempt,a fixable bootloop,or even a brick."

Now having read that my questions are, does this statement apply to my Note? If so, does it apply if I am not changing my ROM from the stock ROM? Basically was that my plan was to root in order to allow superuser so that I could have more control over my device. Install apps that require root, remove bloatware and the like, but I had no intention of replacing the stock ROM nor reinstalling the ROM. When rooting do I need to somehow create a recovery ROM? I was going to use the following link and follow the instructions outlined on this page. Root Note [ICS][GingerBread] Also my other assumption is that this link refers to rooting either the ICS or GingerBread versions of the OS?

I would really appreciate some input on these questions, and yes I have read the All things root mega thread.

Thanks! :)

Advertisement

2. enduser2941

enduser2941 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Systems Admin
    NJ
    Help please, am I way off with my question here? Im only asking since I havent gotten any replies so I want to make sure my question is not unanswerable.

Thanks!