• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question: SD Card Write/Permissions on 4.4.4

Teegunn

Android Expert
Apr 7, 2010
So I am still on 4.3 on my Note 3 because 4.4 borked the SD card permissions on android devices so I never updated my N3 to 4.4. I use my SD card a TON for many things like Music, Video, Pictures, App data, download folders, etc. My question is this- is there a bonafide workaround or fix for 4.4.4 that will allow the Note 4 to utilize my SD card and it's info the same way I can with my Note 3 that is on 4.3. Reading around the net, it doesn't seem there is a total fix for this issue yet. And I can't get any specific info on if 4.4.4 has fixed or made the SD card write and permissions better or worse than 4.4.2. Basically, if 4.4.4 borks my SD card usage, I might as well have a walled off device like Crapple.

I agree about the "believe it when I see it" part. And who knows when we would get Android L. I bet it will be in 2015 on Verizon. As far as a release day N4, if it is not rootable, then any hacks available would not be able to be use to allow better SD card usage. From what I have read, you need to root then either use a specific app that fixes SD card permissions, or run/install a script to fix the permissions. And it seems neither "fix" is a 100% fix.

This honestly has me almost wanting to just hold on to my N3. It is working fine, in basically new condition after one year of use. I am completely pissed that Google has gone the apple route of walling off BASIC user functions that many Android users enjoy or need on a daily basis. One of the main advantages to android over ios for me is the ability to use an SD card - fully use it until 4.4 hit.

Bottom line, they are trying to herd people into cloud usage because that makes them more money. Cloud usage sucks, and should not be a users main source of storage. And of course you MUST HAVE SIGNAL to use the cloud. There are many instances where I need to use ALL the functions of my phone without signal (planes, poor/no receptions areas, airplane mode, backcountry gps topo use, etc). Gimping Android and their devices as 4.4 has done is a big negative. Google, if you are listening, you WILL lose customers if you don't allow full SD card usage. Me, for one.

Upvote 0
I agree about the "believe it when I see it" part. And who knows when we would get Android L. I bet it will be in 2015 on Verizon. As far as a release day N4, if it is not rootable, then any hacks available would not be able to be use to allow better SD card usage. From what I have read, you need to root then either use a specific app that fixes SD card permissions, or run/install a script to fix the permissions. And it seems neither "fix" is a 100% fix.

This honestly has me almost wanting to just hold on to my N3. It is working fine, in basically new condition after one year of use. I am completely pissed that Google has gone the apple route of walling off BASIC user functions that many Android users enjoy or need on a daily basis. One of the main advantages to android over ios for me is the ability to use an SD card - fully use it until 4.4 hit.

Bottom line, they are trying to herd people into cloud usage because that makes them more money. Cloud usage sucks, and should not be a users main source of storage. And of course you MUST HAVE SIGNAL to use the cloud. There are many instances where I need to use ALL the functions of my phone without signal (planes, poor/no receptions areas, airplane mode, backcountry gps topo use, etc). Gimping Android and their devices as 4.4 has done is a big negative. Google, if you are listening, you WILL lose customers if you don't allow full SD card usage. Me, for one.

I am hoping an easy root method for the Note 4, but we shall see. I am kind of stuck too, since like having my emulators and MAME on the sd card, but games and save settings do not work due to the card write issue.

All I need with root is enable card writes and use Titanium to freeze the bloat.

Still a few weeks to decide :)

Upvote 0
I am hoping an easy root method for the Note 4, but we shall see. I am kind of stuck too, since like having my emulators and MAME on the sd card, but games and save settings do not work due to the card write issue.

All I need with root is enable card writes and use Titanium to freeze the bloat.

Still a few weeks to decide :)

I'm debating to preorder via Best Buy (since the Verizon option is a no-go as they aren't giving me $10 for my Droid X2 I'm trading in). I could do the preorder, and if root and SD card permissions aren't doable within the 30 day time frame, I guess I could always take the N4 back. I would like to see the N4 in person and see if using it a bit in hand would change my opinion. The SD write issue really has be considering keeping my N3 that is on 4.3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones