• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

QUESTION...Should I....?

Well I was following your Root to Legit guide. All the Files I have been using I got straight from your guide. Ill try that file you just sent me and see what happens.

http://www.getyourdroidon.com/root/signed-RC30-from-RC29-fat.1582cace.zip

THats the file I was trying to use.

Edit: Okay so I have RC33 now. I don't know if my Phone is rooted or not still. My phone says there are no updates available. I guess I'll try the manual install of Cupcake again. This is what caused me to try and unroot in the first place.

Yep just tried to update to Cupcake and I get the same error I got in the first place which made me want to try and unroot my phone.

Update: So I updated using this file

http://www.getyourdroidon.com/root/JFv1.51_CRB43-US.zip

And I have Cupcake now. But I'm just not sure if my phone is still rooted, and I'm still running off the Edge Network I think. I have the little E symbol instead of 3G.

Upvote 0
Well I was following your Root to Legit guide. All the Files I have been using I got straight from your guide. Ill try that file you just sent me and see what happens.

http://www.getyourdroidon.com/root/signed-RC30-from-RC29-fat.1582cace.zip

THats the file I was trying to use.

Edit: Okay so I have RC33 now. I don't know if my Phone is rooted or not still. My phone says there are no updates available. I guess I'll try the manual install of Cupcake again. This is what caused me to try and unroot in the first place.

Yep just tried to update to Cupcake and I get the same error I got in the first place which made me want to try and unroot my phone.

Update: So I updated using this file

http://www.getyourdroidon.com/root/JFv1.51_CRB43-US.zip

And I have Cupcake now. But I'm just not sure if my phone is still rooted, and I'm still running off the Edge Network I think. I have the little E symbol instead of 3G.

The first file you list is the file for UNROOTing.... If you go back and look at the Site (GetYourDroidOn) you will see that file is listed under the UNROOT section ... Definately not what you were trying to do.

Once you had installed the RC33 that you show above you essentially have a rooted phone with a build that has the same features that would be in the cupcake OTA legit (non-rooted) ... SO you then trying to do a phone Check for updates would not show any because you are rooted ...

So you have tried to mix difference procedures using files that are for different purposes.... luckily you did not brick your phone ....

Now with the Edge vs 3G issue you probably did not install the correct RADIO update or you left the old Radios... on the phone ... That is Step 5 in the Rooting procedure listed in my signature and should use the following file to install the proper radios for the OS build you now have ...

http://www.getyourdroidon.com/root/ota-radio-2_22_19_26I.zip

Please list the BaseBand version you have before installing the above ...

and the version after installing it ....

you should end up with version 02.505.20.17h_2.22.19.26I

let us know you progress or problems

To test that you are rooted ...

Click your app "Terminal"
you should see a prompt of a $ sign
then ...
Type SU
you should see a prompt of a # sign ...

You are definately rooted ...

Press the BACK key on the phone to exit out of "Terminal"

Upvote 0
Awesome. My 3G works, I have Cupcake and Im still Rooted!! *Wipes Sweat off Forehead* You know I was thinking today also "I bet i Mixed the files up and I should be thankful I still have a working G1" haha.

Awesome. Alright. So, Im Rooted, I have Cupcake (I would assume the one I have is a non OTA version. I got it from this site.

Cupcake Downloads

Its the JF's 1.51

What is the Hero one im seeing though that is featured. I love tweaking and getting crazy versions of stuff, so let me know if you have any awesome recomendations :) Thanks again for sticking with me through this, I really appreciate it. You're the man. :)

Upvote 0
Awesome. My 3G works, I have Cupcake and Im still Rooted!! *Wipes Sweat off Forehead* You know I was thinking today also "I bet i Mixed the files up and I should be thankful I still have a working G1" haha.

Awesome. Alright. So, Im Rooted, I have Cupcake (I would assume the one I have is a non OTA version. I got it from this site.

Cupcake Downloads

Its the JF's 1.51

What is the Hero one im seeing though that is featured. I love tweaking and getting crazy versions of stuff, so let me know if you have any awesome recomendations :) Thanks again for sticking with me through this, I really appreciate it. You're the man. :)

You are very welcome ...

Hero has been / may be prone to bricking or near bricking but I have not tried it ... so I dont know for sure ... and not interested in trying it ... I am satisfied with my current build ...

Upvote 0

Cupcake Downloads

Its the JF's 1.51

as long as you didn't download a build from the "OTA/Un-Root" section you are on a rooted build... and to answer your question this is hero HTC Hero Firmware Build on G1 (Haykuro) | Android Phone Fans and it is not prone to bricking however it is incomplete and still being developed if you like features like bluetooth than that build is not for you...

Upvote 0
Roger that. So I will just stick with what I've got. Thank you guys so much.

Just a little update. 3G only works some of the time. Actually rarely does it work, heh. Im on the Edge Network probably 90% of the time. I went ahead and installed that Radio file you gave me but im still on the Edge Network. I think I read somewhere that the 3G Network for this phone only works in specific locations. Im only about 20 miles south of Seattle though so I would think it would work.

With that file installed here is my Baseband Version

62.50s.20.17H_2.22.19.26I

Everything is the same as the one you said I should be on, except mine is 62 and the one you listed is 02. Is mine more updated?

Edit: yeah I'm sure it just has to do with the area I'm in, and whether or not the 3G signal can reach me from where I am in the house (I'm in the Basement a lot) Sometimes I'm 3G, sometimes I'm Edge. I'm pretty sure its working just fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones