• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question Thread for Smartphone and Droid Incredible Newbies

New to Android (had Winmo on Omnia) and I have two SMS related issues:

1) Pick a person and 'View Contact', then pick 'Send Message' and the cursor is put in the 'To' area rather than the 'compose' area. I already said who, so why put cursor there???

2) Why oh why does the 'View Contact' give the ability to send an SMS to a 'Home' number, which is typically a land line???

Upvote 0
So, there are 7 "main screens" right? Right now, one has only Twitter on it. Another has only email. Can I remove those, and use them to have program and app shortcuts?
Go to settings, personalization, scenes, clean slate and you can actually completely make all 7 however you want. It's quite fun actually. You can also save custom scenes and name them for your favorites to switch around. :D

Upvote 0
New to Android (had Winmo on Omnia) and I have two SMS related issues:

1) Pick a person and 'View Contact', then pick 'Send Message' and the cursor is put in the 'To' area rather than the 'compose' area. I already said who, so why put cursor there???

2) Why oh why does the 'View Contact' give the ability to send an SMS to a 'Home' number, which is typically a land line???
1) It's so you can send a text to numerous people at once.

2) I'm not 100% on this, but I think some landlines actually have the ability to receive texts, almost like a fax, that shows up on an answering machine. Then again, I've never done it. ;)

Upvote 0
does friendstream update automatically or not? can you change the settings on updates?
When on the friendstream widget, click the arrow at the top right side. On the 'All Updates' screen click 'Menu -> Settings'. Select 'Accounts & Sync' and from there pick facebook or twitter and there you'll find the settings for the frequency of updating in the background.

Upvote 0
I have a question about the Marketplace..... I have used an iPhone in the past and iTunes will let you have a "family" account where you could for example purchase a game or app and sync it on multiple phones. Is this a possibility with Android phones as they seem to be tied to individual GMAIL accounts? If I'm on a family plan with Verizon, I would hope I could purchase something just once and sync it to another phone on my plan....

Upvote 0
I have a question about the Marketplace..... I have used an iPhone in the past and iTunes will let you have a "family" account where you could for example purchase a game or app and sync it on multiple phones. Is this a possibility with Android phones as they seem to be tied to individual GMAIL accounts? If I'm on a family plan with Verizon, I would hope I could purchase something just once and sync it to another phone on my plan....
only if that phone is using the same Gmail account

Upvote 0
A real n00b here (upgrading from a Samsung Juke...been the butt of jokes for too long). How do I change the icons that pop up when I hard press the home button? I think these icons also pop up when I wake my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
if u mean the icons that pop u with a long home press those are just your most recently used apps

Reactions: sanfrandroid
Upvote 0
This is probably a stupid question .... but is Google Maps the same as the Google Turn by Turn Navigation
if u click on a location in Google Maps the screen that comes up will have four buttons across the top. the second from the left (looks like an arrow pointed right) will bring a popup that says "Navigate" or "Get directions." Choose "Navigate" and it will open up Google Navigation.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to completely disable the vibration function for all apps? I'm playing Extreme Typist which vibrates whenever you get a word right. This results in lots of vibrations which drains the battery and actually warms the phone to the touch after 30min of playing. How can I make it so apps can't use the vibrate function?

Upvote 0
1) [cursor on 'To'] It's so you can send a text to numerous people at once.

2) I'm not 100% on this, but I think some landlines actually have the ability to receive texts, almost like a fax, that shows up on an answering machine. Then again, I've never done it. ;)
1) I just wish the default cursor position was the text area. I'm a fan of defaults being the most used condition, and I suspect 99%+ of SMS msgs are to one target.

2) Same here, it's really uncommon to SMS a land line, so make the default no and let the user specify the number if they want to.

I'll cope I guess, and I definitely am enjoying my 1st Android phone, but this is one of the few things where WinMo 6.5 was much more intuitive.

Upvote 0
Coming from winmo, when you uninstall a program, all the programs were listed in alphabetical order. But in Android, when I go to the application page there are tons of apps listed and in no particular order. So when I am looking for the one program I want to uninstall it takes me forever to find it.

Any way to sort the programs?

Upvote 0
sammtin:

1) push the button on the top of the phone

2) not that I am aware of, the only button that does the trick is the lock / power button up top

3) do the opposite: if you swipe it down (as you would to unlock), it'll answer. If you swipe the 'lock bar' UP then it'll ignore the call.

hope that helps. :)

Thanks for this! However... when I swipe up, it still answers! This is a tad distressing. I am finding that the actual phone functions are the hardest for me to figure out and it is making me feel pretty dumb! Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones