1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Question Time!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AustinLott, Mar 22, 2011.

?

CM7 "RC" vs. "Nightlies.

Poll closed Mar 29, 2011.
  1. RC

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Nightlies

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. AustinLott

AustinLott Member
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    High School Student
    Georgia
    Which do you prefer and what are the differences between CM7 "RC" and "Nightlies"?

Advertisement

2. markc2

markc2 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 22, 2010
    Perrysburg, Oh.
    I don't know, what do you think?

3. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    A "RC" is a release candidate. It is considered somewhat of a beta release, almost ready for prime time, most of the bugs worked out, but probably not all.

The "nightlies" are usually compiled automatically by a 'build bot' which includes a new 'repo sync' command thereby updating every current edit that has been merged into the git repository. If there is a skip (or lag) in the dates of the nightly, this usually means that the 'make' failed and the code will continue to be modified to get all the git commits and merges to work together nicely.

I know that wasn't quite layman's terms, so basically the main difference is a RC is just a nightly and/or build that is considered by those maintaining Cyanogenmod for that particular device to worthy of being considered more stable than just a nightly. For me, CM7RC2 was cool, but there was still more I was looking for and am still looking at the nightlies (and actually more to expertontech/winner's builds) for that 'more'

45droid likes this.